• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just how long does it take.....?

Minimum of 4 years, although i've never seen anyone get it in less than 5, if the student attends classes regularly (3 times a week). We are strict on that and it really does show in the quaility of our blackbelts. Unfortunately, I've seen some schools who mass produce blackbelts and although some are deserving the majority are not. I've even heard of certain teachers taking cash money to boost the promotion process... that is not good....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shorin Ryuu........If you wouldnt mind sending that article to me as well, Id love to read it. Thanks in advance. :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

While testing isn't mandatory, it takes about 4 to 5 years at my school. There is a life time worth of study so many students don't rush up the 'black belt' ladder. Kinda becomes more of a lifestyle than a hobby. Usually those interested in teaching test regularly.

im confused. I thought it would varie in each martial art.

If so what about Krav Maga

Buy low, sell high, take your pills, tell your lies, fake your tan, wear a tie, go to the gym, you'll never die !!!

Interesting I should stumble across this thread. 2 classes ago, I asked another sensei at my dojo how long it took to gain a black belt, and he replied that it takes about 4-6 years. I thought it was 3... :(

Oh, well.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

It took me about 4 1/2 years.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 3 weeks later...

One of my past instructors, Glenn LaPlante, 3rd Dan, earned his 1st degree in eighteen months under the direction of John Graden and Joe Lewis. He is an exception to the rule, it would normally take 3 - 5 years to achieve Cho Dan level. Glen went on to be Middleweight Champion in ISKA. He now does professional boxing locally here in Tampa, Florida.

There's different timelines in all styles/disciplines. My attitude was whatever it takes. Time was not an issue. Black Belt was an enormous, almost unattainable goal, so I took it piecemeal at a time, which made it more doable for me.

Best regards,

Jack Makinson