• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just when you thought you were doing ok

Highler

Kev, please don't be discouraged! I'm sure that you're doing fine. Even if you keep on getting techniques wrong (and who doesn't, especially when they first start out) it's the fact that you keep going with it and keep on practicing. If you get partnered up with a higher grade again and you feel that they are not helping you, then have a quiet word with your Sensei about it. He or she should be able to sort out the problem. remember, everyone has had to start out as a beginner at some point.

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago at my Wing Chun club. I'm pretty much a newbie to Wing Chun (I've been training about 6 months).

I was partnered up with one of the experienced guys (equiv. to black belt) for Chi Sau (sticking hands).

I'd only trained in Chi Sau a couple of times before and I was making quite a few mistakes with it, as I'd not had the experience that the other guy had.

My partner was very impatient and disliked the fact that I was making so many mistakes. The fact that I was up against an experienced practitioner was making me a little nervous and his attitude didn't help. Sifu saw what was going on and made him work on his own.

He partnered me up with another senior member who was much more understanding and sympathetic. In fact, his first words to me as we started practicing were "don't worry if you don't get it right, you've only just started learning Chi Sau. Everyone makes mistakes with it."

His positive and helpful attititude really helped my training and I could feel that my techniques was much improved by the end of the session.

Good luck with your training, Kev and KEEP GOING! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have to say the teacher sounds a little disappointing to me. Reason being, if he notices that the white belts aren't mixing in with the higher ranks then maybe he should appoint the groups.

Every one of us start at the same point ,even the greatest master of martial art ! the most important thing to have is bags of self confidence ,no matter what ! if you have this or develope it ,nothing will stop you learning anything you want including Karate even if you are old or have any physical condition .remember this and you go a long way my friend ! :wink:

never give up !

I find one of the more rewarding aspects of training can be helping less experienced people, but trust me when you're the blue belt you'll still train with people that can make you feel like he has done.

I recently took a similar sort of blow to my confidence but after speaking to people on forums, my friends and Sifu I have come out the other side of it with a more positive outlook on training.

I hope you will too.

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

Never be discouraged. Have a positive attitude, you are sparring to learn, the better is your opponent, the more you learn, even if it looks you've been overwhelmed, there always a lesson to be learnt, expecially if you re-analyze your actions after each sparring bout.

You can even learn from weaker opponents sometimes.

Concerning the people who make you feel like a weak rookie, just forget about them and focus on your training. One day maybe you'll be better then them.

Osu :karate: