• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Age Limit in Martial Arts?

Kurazaki

Hi All, this is my first post, and I'd like to apologise in advance if I accidentally say anything wrong.

Firstly, I'm a 25 year old civil servant taking up karate classes in Seitokukan Goju-Ryu Karate in Singapore.

My dream is to someday be able to teach Karate, but there are a few things bugging me lately : one, I'm 25! Most Sensei and Shihans I know of start Karate from 12-19, and none of them have ever started Karate later than 20 - is this a factor? I'm not particularly talented, but I do put in effort (More so than others because I try to catch up with the youngsters) and commitment. So far I'm a 6th Kyu, and I'm still in training, so far for the past 9 months or so.

Second, I am really really stiff. (I used to take up boxing and didn't use my legs much to kick) I'm training now to re-stretch my legs, but could it be possible I'm just chasing a pipedream when I think of teaching Karate?

Please advise! :(

Status : Blue Belt in Goju Ryu Karate, member of Spo-chan coaching

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have so good news for you.... one of my instructors, who just successfully tested for his fourth degree black belt and earn the rank of Renshi. He is 63 years old, and started training Karate when he was over 40 years old. :D

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

Kurazaki,

You're going to be fine, even if you start at your current age of 25. With hard work and dedication, you can become an instructor in due time. This will take a good bit of patience, but this does not seem to be a problem for you.

The flexibility will come with time, and with conditioning and stretching, you'll find yourself being capable of doing things you previously couldn't.

As a bit of encouragement, I'll tell you this much: We have a dedicated gentleman who is over 4 decades your senior in the dojo, and is testing for his Shodan next month, and is on track to become one of the assistant instructors later on. If it's not too late for him, then it's certainly not too late for you.

I think you're going to be just fine. Keep your dream alive, and don't worry about your age. Remember, with today's life expectancies climbing higher and higher, someone being 25 years old in this day and age, may as well have been the equivalent of a 20 year old just a few decades ago, so to put it in perspective, you're at the same age that they were before!

I'll add my $.02 worth here also. I started when I was 22 years old and this month I am celebrating my 30th year in this art. I also tested and passed for my yondan (4th degree black belt) last month.

So you see...there is hope for us old farts! :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Hi Kurazaki, welcome to Karate Forums! :)

Don't worry about your age - it isn't a factor. As long as you work hard and try and follow your dream then you'll get there!

I'm 25 and I started karate when I was 20. I never thought that one day I'd end up being the assistant instructor of my club! Eventually, I'd like to have a karate school of my own, but that'll not be for a good few years yet. However, I'm not going to give up on my dream of having my own school as one day I will eventually get there... and it won't matter how old I am! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I have so good news for you.... one of my instructors, who just successfully tested for his fourth degree black belt and earn the rank of Renshi. He is 63 years old, and started training Karate when he was over 40 years old. :D

WOW. I started at 43 but I did not think It was possible to reach that level starting at a certain age :o :)

Edited by italian_guy

For advancing in the belt levels, age is not a major factor. I know a instructor who just got his rokudan a few year ago (mind you, he did train in Kung Fu before that). Nonetheless, as long as you understand the material and can perform at a adequate level, you will be okay. As for training from a young age, it matters the most if you plan to participate in tournaments.

Good news !!!!! I started at the tender age of 7....way back in 1973.....I just had my 31st anniversary in the arts, and Im 38 years old.......JUST GET ON THE MAT AND TRAIN !!!!! Professor Wally Jay was still able to back up his 10th Degree black belt at the age of 80+.........Im sure he has Gi's and belts that are older than both of us put together....As far as being "stiff".....just keep stretching properly and youll be fine......like the commercial says....."just do it" !!!

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"