• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ki / Qi / Chi

Does Ki exist?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does Ki exist?

• Ki doesn't exist. Everything the ki model tries to explain can be explained with body mechanics, biophysics, and psychology. There is no need to postulate some mysterious force. Science can explain it.
    • Ki exists absolutely. Ki is an energy, a living force, a spirit that can be used to increase your strength, throw people around, etc. Subjective experience shows that ki is real. It is the power of the mind in union with the body.
    • Ki may or may not exist. The ki model allows you to visualize how to increase your strength, throw people around, etc.--it doesn't matter if it exists or not. If someone invents a model that is easier to visualize, then maybe I will switch to it.

I voted 3 because I'm not sure if it exist or not, I'm not experienced enough to make a more definite statement. At the moment the only thing I care is that ki exercises and their martial application are effective in improving my health and my self defence capability. I think I'll have a better idea of deeper meaning of what I'm practicing after some time (several years maybe).

At least this is what I think.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KI is not some mysterious force nor is it impossible to explain in scientific terms. Ki just is . Ki is the yin as the physical body is yang .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

Explaining what Chi is is very difficult. Its like trying to explain to a blind man what a color looks like. You dont "see" the air, but you feel it when it blows......you dont "see" heat, but you feel it......

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

well, that's kind of what makes people sceptical.

it doesn't help when not everyone will agree on what it is.

the pedantic chinese people will go on about how what most people call chi is nothing but a twisted misunderstanding of chinese ideas that were used to describe something that they couldn't/didn't understand fully 200-300 years ago.

AKA body mechanics.

the modern western guy who worships all things chinese up to the point of cultivating a strange moustache, dodgy skin tone and wears a chinese jacket everywhere he goes will tell you about the magical mystery tour he went on where he saw first hand displays of the wounderful chi.

AKA bunk.

then there are the ones who can perform some of the 'tricks' (no offence meant) but have no real explaination of how/why it works, only that it does.

AKA the ones who want to know what it is.

okok, i know this is a horrible generalisation but it's just to give an idea of what i mean.....

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

On some level or another, Chi most certainly does exist. I have seen too many things to think otherwise. I do, however, believe that science will one day be able to explain the connections, because it is not a magical or impossible force, it is something very real that can be demonstrated over and over by applying the scientific method.

You can see it work. I have both used it and been used by it, so I have to go with option #2.

~A!

Smiling burns calories, and it toughens up your face.

http://mullaneycenter.com

ki exists.

I've been in aikido.

and i used to summon up energy(not somthing magical or anything when i say summon up energy). but one feels it through the body. later on one develops to have it in them all the time without having to summon it up.

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.