• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punching thin air

Highler

I think that shadowboxing is a good exercise however punching should be done focusing on speed and technique in a very relaxed manner, no power needed here you cannot knockout air!

Heavy bag work is a different exercise, it make sense in two different ways both with a person holding it in the back (for full power training) but also without anybody holding it, in this case the swing of the bag may emulate (somehow) the movement of an opponent and you learn to hit something that moves.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty simple to avoid hyper-extending the elbow if you punch properly. Along that same line, it's pretty easy to learn how to punch properly as well.

I prefer to use the makiwara to help simulate hitting a target with some give to it rather than a huge building up of my knuckles. As mentioned before, there are some things that punching the air can not help you practice. That's why Okinawans used the makiwara quite frequently in the old days, and even now.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...
As i know nothing about other styles please don't think i'm saying they're no good, just looking for more info. And please correct me if i'm wrong!

Sensei was telling me all about the impact pads we use in shukokai and how no other styles use these. Years ago he practiced shotokan and showed me all the wide stances and how they would 'march' up and down the dojo punching the air as hard as they could and never actually hit a target like a bag or impact pad. He says he thought his punches were really good but when he was introduced to the impact pads in shukokai and started hitting them he was very surprised how his punches weren't as good as he thought.

Like i say i've never practiced anything else and don't have much MA knowledge so i'm not trying to lecture you on how or what you should practice, just looking for opinions of punching thin air and do you really think it is beneficial?

Thanks

Obviously this instructor had never trained using a makiwara which Shotokan and its derivatives teach.

Nothing wrong with punching thin air, as long as it is done in a balanced training schedule.

Personally I punch thin air as in Kata and Basics, use a Makiwara, heavy bag and apply plyometric exercises to punching technique.

A balanced approach is always best.

You have to remember Hirokazu Kanazawa now 10th Dan, won the All Japan Karate Champs 3 years in a row, the last win was done whilst he had a broken arm

He is Shotokan. :)

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Obviously this instructor had never trained using a makiwara which Shotokan and its derivatives teach.

Nothing wrong with punching thin air, as long as it is done in a balanced training schedule.

Personally I punch thin air as in Kata and Basics, use a Makiwara, heavy bag and apply plyometric exercises to punching technique.

A balanced approach is always best.

You have to remember Hirokazu Kanazawa now 10th Dan, won the All Japan Karate Champs 3 years in a row, the last win was done whilst he had a broken arm

He is Shotokan. :)

Well Hoopee for Shotokan! :wink:

But seriously - Shukokai developed by using this plyometric power you are talking about - and we were one of the first styles to use these impact pads in training and in every grading (at least in SKU it is in gradings)!

"Shukokai" was founded after the second world war by Sensei Tani who resided in Kobi City Japan. Sensei Tani sort to perfect his style by studying the mechanics of the human body and developed techniques which can be delivered with maximum efficiency. The theories behind Shukokai are somewhat complex and it takes a lifetime of study to truly understand the art. It is a system of combat which seeks perfection and therefore demands continuos study.
found at http://www.shukokai-skf.com/

Many say that the true style of Shukoaki was the original developed by Tani, others say it is the furtherance of Shukokai taught by Kimura. Whatever your beliefs, Shukokai remains to be a very popular style. It is very dynamic and powerful. It incorporates the use of impact pads in the grading system.

If you've never come across Shukokai before, it is an eye opener to anyone. The power that the karateka applies raises a few eyebrows to say the least. In fact all techniques are very fast and very powerful. Zanshin Shukokai is taught under Sensei Gareth Edwards 4th Dan who keeps the style in its pure form as it was taught to him. The guidance of Shihan Roy Stanhope 7th Dan and original student of Kimura helps the club keep on track and grow.

found at http://www.caernarfon4visitors.co.uk/zanshin/shukokai.html