• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight training for the back

Omega14

I believe that most people overlook the aspect that their backs needs to be trained as well. However, I am having difficulties in finding effective methods for training my back. Since I am not currently a part of a gym (the nearest gym is really far from my place), I was hoping people can give me some tips about how I can train my back at home. I have some free weights, but I don't see how that can possibly be beneficial (This is one aspect I really have no knowledge of).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You're absolutely correct, and actually back is my main focus in training.

The first thing I have to say before I expand on training the back is this - you must, I repeat MUST, focus on training your back. Each rep you need to concentrate that you are indeed using the back muscles (Traps, lats, spinal erectors, what have you) and not taking over with the shoulders, arms, etc; etc;. Because to train the back... you gotta train the back. Keep a mental image of the back flexing and relaxing.

Secondly, keep your back straight - don't slouch.

Alright - I think that's about it. Of course, follow all the other rules of training, don't use too much weight to be impressive, don't cheat (unless you're doing cheat reps), and follow all body signals and make sure you're safe.

Now to the exercises:

The basic builders of the big backs - say that three times fast - are of course your chin-ups, deadlifts, and rows. So do em'!

Pull-ups - Grab bar (Above you please). Use a wide grip. Palms face away from you. Focusing on your back, pull yourself up until your chin is above the bar. Don't let yourself just drop back down - lower yourself correctly. Should work the lats and possibly traps.

Deadlifts - Grab a barbell and load some modest weight until you find your proper weight - then, with knees bent, bent at the waist (Do NOT arch your back), lift yourself to an upright position. Focus on your spinal erectors (Think of your abs, only on your back - those are your spinal erectors) instead of your legs, because this exercise builds legs as well (Heck, it builds everything to an extend) and you need to focus on back. I like this more then weighted good mornings because of its ability to get at the lower back without bending it too awfully much.

Rows - Plenty of variations. Dumbell. Barbell. Kettlebell. My favorite variation is the dumbell bent-over row. Step one, bend over, to a 45. Pull the weight off the ground, and pull up so your elbow is in line with your shoulder (upper arm parallel to the ground). Now using your back muscles, pull up even farther. This should feel like you're squeezing a lemon between your back.

Of course, these shouldn't be the only weapons in your arsenel, but they're a good start. Here's some others to look at as your equipment situation gets a bit better or you just want more -

Lat pulldowns - again, using a wide grip, pull down the bar to lift the weight. Should once again focus on your lats doing the work here.

Dumbell shrugs - gets rid of pencil neck. Holding to dumbells at your side, pull up the weight by "shrugging" - lifting your shoulders with your neck (The neck muscles called the trapezius do the work - not your shoulders)

Theres more I can't think of right now, and most of it's just variation.

So you've got the mindset, you've got the equipment, you've got the exercises, so here's a sample plan for back day -

Warm Up (Don't skip this)

Rows - 3 x 12

Lat Pulldowns - 3 x 12

Deadlifts - 3 x 8-10

Pull ups - 4 x Failure

Shrugs - 3 x 15

Feel free to tinker with those numbers depending on what you think works best for you - don't be afraid to push your own limits.

Hope you find this useful - you can do almost all of this at home with dumbells at an early stage, minus the pulldowns.

OH! And by the way - punching (weighted or not, I don't reccomend weighted punches) will also give your lats a nice burn in addition to your weight training.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Just to add another thing there is ABs, you abs are your power house, if you have weak abs odds are you will have back pain. All the power from kicks and punches starts at the ABS through the hips and into your target. Also Dips were let out, they are awesome for complete upperbody and back.

Stretch lots too this will help keep you back form being sore. I'm sure there is a previous post addressing this.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

what hudson said was pretty much dead on. I disagree about using lat pulldowns though - if you don't have anywhere to do pull ups, then yes do them, but pull ups are far superior to pulldowns.

if your freeweights at home are heavy enough you can do rows. otherwise find something to hang from and do widegrip chinups (like lat pulldowns only with not machine) and pull ups and narrow grip pull ups. also, chest exercises will work your back minimally, but its better than nothing.