• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

minimum requirements

aefibird

If your school holds formal belt testing, what are the minimum requirements you have to have between passing one grade and testing for the next?

In my karate school, between 10th and 4th kyu the minimum time requirement is 3 months of training, minimum of 2 classes a week.

Between 3rd kyu and 1st kyu the minimum time is 6 months of training, with attendance of a minimum of 3 classes a week.

Between 1st kyu and 1st dan the minimum time requirement is 1 year of training and minimum of training 3 classes a week and assisting with a lower grades class each week.

These are the bare minimum time and training requirements for moving between grades.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

9-7th kyu -- minimum of 2 months each.

6-4th kyu -- minimum of 3 months each.

3-1st kyu --- minimum of 4 months each.

These are general guidelines and not set in stone. Few people get promoted that quickly in my experience, especially starting in the middle kyu's and gioing through black belt.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

we hold beginning belt tests every three months.

those testing for yellow, orange, or purple.

we hold intermediate tests every four months.

those testing for blue, green, and red.

we hold advanced tests every 6 months.

those testing for 3rd, 2nd, and 1st Brown.

We hold Black Belt Testing once a year.

it takes 2 years to be eligible for 2nd Black after achieving 1st Black.

it takes 3 years to be Eligible for 3rd Black after achieving 2nd Black.

it takes 4 years to be Eligible for 4th Black after achieving 3rd Black.

it takes 5 years to be Eligible for 5th Black and Beyond after achieving 4th Black or later Belts.

Those mind you are Minimums.

the least amount of time to achieve it.

we also have age limits for Black Belt. We are discussing it at the moment, but I believe it is currently 16 years or older.

Also once you are a Green Belt there are also Instructor requirements to advance. No one under Black Belt teaches their own classes, but all Green Belts and Above assist In classes.

The more advanced you are the more you are required to teach/assist.

The numbers are not incredible, and with regular training they are achievable in the time frames for testing.

Students are also required to carry C grade point average or higher.

All kids undfer 18 must get permission slips from their teachers, and parents saying they have been respectful and are doing well before they are allowed to test.

When I had my dojo the minimum time requirements were as follows :

white-yellow 3 months

yellow-orange 3 months

orange-green 6 months

green-brown 10 months

brown-black 18 months (6 months per stripe)

Shodan-Nidan must have minimum of 300 hrs training time, and 300 hrs teaching time

Nidan-Sandan must have minimum of 450 hrs teaching time, and 450 hrs training time

Sandan-Yondan must have minimum of 500 hrs training time, and 2 1/2 years time in rank, and must be actively teaching

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Presently where I train:

3 months between belt level white through brown (7 belt levels), 4 months to red, and then 6 months between red, senior red, and probationary BB.

All black belts test every 6 months for intermediate gradings and it takes 2 years to reach 2nd degree. 3rd degree takes another 2 years, and 4th degree takes 4 (testing every year for intermediate grades).

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Generally, every three months, testing is offered.

At the lower ranks, it's expected that they'll test every three months, although once they get to brown belt, it may take longer than that.

Basically, there are class hour requirements for each level, and as expected, the class hour requirements increase as you go up the ranks.

Once class hour requirements are met, and once the senior instructors decide someone is ready to test, the student is given a testing form that they then fill out. This is done for each and every rank.

Even if someone has attended the required number of class hours, they won't test unless the senior instructor(s) say so, although this is rather uncommon, and only done in cases where a student has had a difficult time learning some of the requirements and needs more time, or if a student has a bad attitude, either in, or out, of the dojo.

If a student shows promise, has a good attitude, really knows the material, and can perform the standards well, then there are options to give private tests in between each 3 month period. Or, if a student has a good excuse for missing out on an exam time, then a private make-up test can be given.