• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Testing Fees

Absolutely - charge for belt testing fees. Let the student/parents know up front when they join what to expect when it comes to belt testing. Lay it out at the very beginning so there are no surprises.

Belt test fees pay for the belt, certificate and the time it takes to test the student, plus electricity and staff.

It's not just a money thing. When you're teaching as a career everything helps keep the building up and running, and helps pay your salary. Especially when you are doing it full-time as the only income generator. If this is your livelihood like it is mine, all activities including rank promotion is considered part of the pie.

This is the 21st century. People expect to pay for things. I've found that when things are given for free, it isn't appreciated as much (weird as that sounds - it's true).

It's all totally up to you and what you feel is right, but if you are giving the belt testings for free, then you are missing out on a great income opportunity.

Never Give Up!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im starting up a class on friday to teach students how to assist in classes

the class will run months...i dont know how many, but at least 5 id say

im charging 20 dollars, total, for the whole thing

this includes a binder, and all papers i give them

a parent apparently complained to the head sensei (he told me ofc) about the price of 20 dollars

it works out to less than a dollar per class, if u assume the binder and papers are a free gift, plus all of my time at home

so...what does this mean? my time isnt even worth a dollar?!

/me is very annoyed :/

anyways...this is not belt testing fee, but it still is an example of people not being willing to pay basic fees

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

a parent apparently complained to the head sensei (he told me ofc) about the price of 20 dollars

Do they have the option to not participate, and therefore not pay the $20?

Your time and effort are certainly worth something, and it's fair that you are compensated. If a student (or parent) thinks it's too much, then they should be free to not take that course.

Some people will complain no matter what you do. You can't let that get to you.

--

• 1 month later...

When I was at ussd they charged 45 for yellow 45 orange, 60 for purple, 75 for blue,75 for blue with stripe 100 for green 100 for green w/stripe, 200 for 1-3 brown and 300 for black.

I haven't trained with them for quite some time so it may have changed?