• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lumpy Shins

Gloi

About 2 months ago I was doing a lot of sparring getting ready for my grading. I ended up with lumps and bruises all the way up my shins. One of these was from kicking an elbow with a big lump I'd alredy go from clashing shins with someone a few days before.

My leg was quite swelled up down into my ankle.

Anyway most of this has now gone away apart from one lump. This is in the flesh on the front of my shin and isn't connected to the bone as I can move it about a little bit. It's quite hard and when I press it with my finger it leaves a dent in the flesh which takes a while to fill out again. There's no feeling in a spot about an inch across. All the visible bruise has vanished and it doesn't hurt any more. Whenever I've asked anyone what to do about it they've just said 'massage the area' but the lump is so hard I can hardly make an inpression on it and it doesn't seem to do much.

Any ideas on what this type of thing is called and how to get it to go back to normal?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like you've taken quite a battering!

I don't know what this is called, but I do think that you should get it checked out by a doctor, just as a precaution. Hope it heals well!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

tiger balm!

also, condition your shins more, kicking bags with them, etc. also, a rolling pin up and down it (people think its to harden your shin, and that its harmful later in life- both myths) will help to flatten the bone and prevent injuries like breaks if you ever clash shins with someone or something.

yeah, you may want to get checked out. I recently went to the doc for something similar. Turns out I had fractured my shin and didn't know. stress fractures are fairly common and can get much worse i f they go untreated and unrested.

It sounds like a trip to the doctor wouldn't be a bad idea. A lump that wasn't there previously, was caused by trauma and isn't going away warrants a look at by someone who can identify what the lump is made of.

Good luck.

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

I talked to some of the guys and they said it's just a haematoma and it needed massaging hard enough to break down the bruising. After he threatened to do I decided I'd just have to grit my teeth and have a go at it myself. I tried with my knuckels but couldn't make an impression. However Someone had got me one of those foot massager rollers for xmas and using that as hard as I could flattened the thing a bit. I can't pretend it didn't hurt but after doing that a couple of times a day it actually seems to be breaking it down and it's starting to go.

Yes!!

It's gone down a lot now at last, it covers a smaller area and my ankle isn't as puffy. I could really have done with getting ultrasound on it I suppose, but it would have meant taking time out from work and I didn't really have the time to do that unless I REALLY had to.