• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Please tell me all that you know about disc herniations

goedikey

Hi,

Sorry if this is not the right section of the forum to post this but since this injury is bad, I want to have as many answers as possible ;-).

I have been diagnosed with a large disc herniation in my neck. The pain is almost gone now (after 3 weeks). It was the worst possible pain ever.

However, I have numbness in my thumb and some light spasms ocasionnaly in my left arm and weakness. Pinched nerve it is at c6.

I have my MRI results and waiting to see doctor in about a week.

Can anyone tell me if this condition will improve ? There is very little info on the subject but generally, the consensus is that most hernations will improve after a few months. If not its surgery.

it seems that the fragments will disolve and the disc will resorb itself.

I just dont know how bad is my case compard to "most hernations".

I am taking MSM, Glucosamine and Chondritin 3x daily.

Please share your experiences or the ones of others because I am losing hope in returning to MA practice ..

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dont lose hope :-)

You may wind up having range of motion problems in your neck, as far as looking from side to side....and the occasional pain in the neck and upper back/shoulders.

I have very similar injuries due to car accidents, and 31 years of training.

I have a bulging/herniated c-5, c-6, and c-6,c-7, as well as a bulge in T-10, and T-12, and a bulging/herniated L-4,L-5, and L-5,S-1

Admittedly, I am not quite as flexible as I was when I was younger, and I do get lotsa back and neck pain, but to be honest......Ive just gotten used to having it, so I dont notice it that much any more.

Depending on the severity of damage that you have Goedikey, it will improve...things always do.....but the question is how much..??? The body recovers from injuries in its own way, and whatever you can do to help that (like taking the supplements that youre taking, or going to a chiropractor) is always a good idea.....I see a chiropractor regularly and I have found it to be very helpful with my injuries. As far as martial arts goes....you shouldnt have much limitation, again, depending on your injury. I have noticed that my injuries fluctuate from good day/bad day kinda thing......maybe some annoying back spasms, or a tightness in my neck and/or shoulders.

Seriously consider seeing a chiropractor a few times a week if your insurance covers it.....youll be glad you did....I am.....

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

All hernias are the result of too much stress on a membrane. Imagine a filled water balloon. You can squeeze the balloon a lot and move water around. If you squeeze too much but don't break the balloon, you can create a stretch mark in the side. This is a herniated water balloon. You will notice that there is now a bulge here because the resistance at the stretch mark is less than that of the fully in-tact areas.

This spot is now more vulnerable to rupture. It heals slowly, and it reinjures easily. But, it will heal if left alone and not stressed.

If it does rupture all the way, you can repair it. This basically involves removing the stretch-mark area and closing it up with in-tact membrane. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who returned to 100% without surgery. We had one student (in his 40's) who had herniated the cartillage in his knee. He was back full-on in 6 weeks after surgery. But, they caught it early.

Most people go for years (decades) with these problems without medical care. By that time, there's no fluid left in the cartillage, and then it's time for complete joint replacement surgery. My dad cannot go up stairs. If he were in a basement and the building were on fire, he would burn to death before he made it up the stairs. He was told that he probably herniated the cartillage over 30 years ago. From there, it probably ruptured at some point. Over the next few decades, liquid slowly drained from the cartillage. Now he can barely walk at only 51 years old.

With that said, if you have the surgery option, and you can get it repaired, I would. But, like I said, I just don't know of anyone where it fixed itself substantially.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Thanks a lot guys for yur replies.

Glad to hear that it can be possible to train with such injuries.

I understand very well the structure of the disc.

I think my disk is not only bulging but herniated (pulp has extruded) and pushing on m nerves).

I have been to the chiro but will only go back after most symptoms go away.

Currently seing the phyitherapist buti think they cant do much more for now.

Thanks again !

Most people go for years (decades) with these problems without medical care. By that time, there's no fluid left in the cartillage, and then it's time for complete joint replacement surgery. My dad cannot go up stairs. If he were in a basement and the building were on fire, he would burn to death before he made it up the stairs. He was told that he probably herniated the cartillage over 30 years ago. From there, it probably ruptured at some point. Over the next few decades, liquid slowly drained from the cartillage. Now he can barely walk at only 51 years old.

over those 30 years, weren't there symptoms of acute paint and/or inflexibility..? i would figure that you would "feel" some type of indication that something's not right..

over those 30 years, weren't there symptoms of acute paint and/or inflexibility..? i would figure that you would "feel" some type of indication that something's not right.

Oh, he's been complaining about it as long as I can remember. He just refused to ever get it looked at. Silly old man. It literally had to get to the point where he could barely move before he asked a doctor about it.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein