• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why did you start your martial art?

75% Wing Chun, 25% BJJ

I started as I was looking for a sport that both my fiance and myself could participate in together. I had always thought of martial arts something I would like to do but had never gotten around to it (boy have I missed out). We were looking for a sport that allowed us to have fun and keep fit. I was thinking kung fu/karate, she was thinking Tai Chi/Yoga :roll: . So I started Kung Fu and she did nothing . We broke up soon after that for unrelated reasons and that gave me plenty of free time to focus on my martial arts.

I started for fitness and fun, yet found so much more then that. :karate:

My school does Wing Chun, Kickboxing and BJJ. I do mostly Wing Chun with one BJJ class a week (which I love).

I have been trying for a long time now to get all of my friends to start, however no one has signed up yet.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was young about 3 i would see my older brothers practising in the training room at my house after they had finished getting the evening meal and they showed me how to do a proper kick, but i did not realy start to learn until i was about 7 when i went to have an education at a shaolin temple in china

Mo - WTF TKD 2nd Dan

Buddy of mine in college was a 2nd degree and started a club. I joined because it was something to do.

After college took Wing Chun because my brother took it and I couldn't find a TKD school that I liked.

Moved to Florida and found a TKD school here through a work friend. Been back with it ever since ( 10 years )! I love teaching.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Firend of mine and his brother got jumped by 6 guys in a parkinglot after a hockey game. He stated "He wished I was there, so I could have helped out." He knew I would have jumped in. But jumping in or not, it got me to thinking if i would have been able to be effective at all. I doubted myself, so I decided to get into Kenpo. (Had a friend in it, and he was a brutal fighter.) been in it almost a year now, and love it!

Cheers.

-

There are no pure styles of karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or receives.

-

An ounce of logic can be worth more than a ton of tradition that has become obsolete through the weathering of time.

I had always liked kungfu movies :karate: so much that me and my mom whould weekly go to are local corner video store and get a jackie Chan movie. :D But I started taking karate when I was about 4 or 5 and then again when I was 8 to when I was 9. But was not a dojo so It only lasted a few months than it was over for the season. I wanted to start again but I kept changing my mind of what style I wanted to do. BUT I did not start it again till July because during the school year the local buly who is a teenage CHAMPIONSHIP BOXER destroyed me in a fight :cry: when I TRIED to use some karate I learned five years before. :cry: I than decide to take a kungfu class to find away to defend myself. I still take it ofcourse because I am moving in a year and mu sifu and assistant say I could go black sash by july :brow: . and to get my next sash I have to brake bricks which I wanted to do anyway.only thing I don't like about it is that I wanted to do praying mantis style but I have to master Tan Tuey praying mantis first. :karate:

anyway PEACE :karate: :brow: :oops: :P :roll: :lol: :) :D

• 2 weeks later...

I got involved in Martial arts because I always wanted to learn how to fight , being a small person . Also I wanted to get into shape , meet new people and have fun . So I am involved in Kenpo for almost a year and I love it and hopefully get my black belt . someday :lol:

your hands and feet are all the protection you need, you win some you loose some but you live to fight another day !!!

kutjhkjbhjm

Edited by Ben Martin

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

I think it was the Kung fu TV series with David Carridine that first caught my interest when I was very young. I started to practise moves from Mas Oyamas "this is Karate" when I was around 9.

Then started TKD at 11. I liked the flashy kicks and the challenging exercises. Stayed at that club for 7 years. Looking back now though it was a bit of a Mc Dojo. No contact sparring at all.

Still I thought I was a dangerous MF, till I got my * Kicked by my friends uncle, who was a Thai boxer. Haha!

Did Muay Thai for about a year then went to Japan.Tried a few arts before deciding to do Kyokushin.Everybody said it was the strongest Karate style.I liked the fact that they used low kicks like MT, and did lots of sparring.Plus the training was real hard! I like getting pushed beyond my perceived limits.

Unfortunately I got into partying and drinking too much and" lost my way".

Got back into training when I was about 26?

spent 5-6 years experimenting with different styles(Kenshin karate,capoeira,Wushu, Shaolin long fst KF ,Muay Thai) looking for 1 with everything I wanted. Never found it.

Realised I was getting old, and while I had acheived a degree of skill in a variety of styles I was a master of none. I had to make a decision to stop trying to do everything and focus on one.

I decided to give up all the flashy and focus on the combat effective. Thats when I found Daidojuku.

I liked the combination of Japanese budo and kyokushin spirit with a MMA mentality. It allowed for the use of various techniques( head punching, grabbing, throws, grappling,elbows, knees....) This would enable me to use many of the techniques I had learned in other styles and fuse them into 1 solid all range system.

I like the open mindedness and realistic sparring, and the fact that cumbersome gloves aren't used.

But I feel its a little too competition oriented.

It lacks kata and street specific SD techs.

So I have started supplementing my training with Ryukyu kempo to learn kata and its bunkai.

I also cross train in Muay Thai and BJJ. Both these arts are incorporated into Daidojuku, but I like to take classes in each separately to get more in depth knowledge on certain techs and work on my weak points.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last