• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu -- getting graded for White belt Saturday

nfl2k2

3 time, after time you will say them in your sleep, and you can probably find that in the internet, see if you can find info on the Goju-kai thats the governing body of Goju ryu.

Greetings Gojuchad:

Goju Kai is not the governing body of Goju Ryu, Goju Kai is the organization founded by Gogen Yamaguchi to organize and promote his style of Japanese Goju Ryu. There are numerous organizations that promote the practice of Goju Ryu Karate. Among them you will find IOGKF, Meibu Kan, Shobu Kan, Chi-I-Do and others.

:karate: :karate: :karate: :karate:

The Hammer

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gojuchad:

yeah us too we stay white belt for a pretty long time. 9 months minimum, but for my particular club it can take up to a year because of winter/summer breaks.

Btw, i got to 9th kyu (1 green stripe on my belt) recently and we got tested mainly on hookiyu kata dai ich, its bunkai and the first set of kisos.

I agree, the color of the belt is not important. if I can train well (especially with higher belts) im very happy.

I forgot, nfl2k2: good luck on that test.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

About the name of the techniques you'll find plenty of info under the net,

this site shows also short videos for some of the tecniques:

techniques with videos

About the test every school has it's own way to test, for the first test we do the test in 3 parts, kihon, kata and bunkai and from the second test onward we also add kumite, but as I told you it depends on the schools.

Best luck for the test. :karate:

Oh well yes Hammer is right i should of said that the goju-kai is A governing body of goju-ryu. There are others of course but from my experience the goju-kai is one that is widely accpted in Japan and to the others i admit my ignorance in that area. I guess it would be a good idea to look into these also . One question to Hammer you listed Sho Bu Kan is that house not under a ogrinization? My school is called the Gen Bu Kan and we are still under the Goju-kai. Just a curious question thanx.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up with my topic, I thought I'd let all of you know that I passed and received my yellow belt today! For some reason I remember a person at my dojo telling me we were grading for the white belt -- oh well, it's nice to have a belt other than the one that came with the gi. Anyway, for the next five months I'll be working on getting a green tip. Thanks for the tips everyone!