• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What art is better for street fighting?

kenpo is great for self defense.

jujitsu is really good.

kajukenbo is self defense only

Krav Maga(hope I spelled it right) is also self defense only.

Muay thai is born from self defense.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally believe that the statistic x% of street fights end up on the lfoor is generally wrong..... sometimes they do, sometimes they dont - the chaotic nature of street fights and the massive variation on situation and circumstance prevent any statistic relating to standing / ground work completely irrelevant and worthless.... it would be impossible to generalise.

Its not so impossible- look at random street fights you can find online, or even get a video of them at the mall for $20.

Its true that most fights are going to end up on the ground. This doesnt mean that you're going to lose unless you're a grappler. In any of these randomly shot street fight videos, almost no one has any training.

It is BECAUSE fights are so chaotic in nature that fights end up going to the ground (two legs are not very stable when throwing your body weight behind punches, and when you have another near 200lb person punching and shoving back at you).

What goes behind the idea of showing people that most fights go to the ground is that it proves to them the opportunity to use their grappling skills. If you teach someone a technique on the ground often they'll ask "when am I going to use this?" By showing them that the fight inevitably goes to the ground, you can say "at this point of the fight, you outclass your opponent enough that you have the opportunity to end the fight." This seems like a better option than simply trying to batter your opponent, only to have him get back up to his feet in a neutral position.

• 4 weeks later...

if you are in a fight and his friends are there and they want to jump in, it doesn't matter if you are on the ground or not you will get stumped. if 2 or more guys that is about the same size as you or bigger want to take you to the ground and stump you, that is where you are going. all this talk about multiple apponents is full of craps. if 2 or more guys want to kick your butt and you can't run fast enough then you better hope they don't beat you too bad. Its best not to fight back cause if you do, you are in for more of a beating. I am a small guy, 140 pound, 5'8; most guys that want to fight me are 6 feet, 190 and up. I have never met anyone smaller than me that wants to fight me. I live in a bad neighborhood and i am asian. people want to kick my butt just because i look different. I've been attack for no reason, by people i have never met or spoken too. I've even been attacked from behind by people I have never seen for no reason. I have been knocked out 2 times. Maybe I can't take a punch, but being 140lb and getting hit by someone that outweight you by 60 pounds does major damage. I train martial art to defend myself, but I am realistic. I know if I get hit with a solid shot I am done. I've also know that my punching power isn't great. I can bench 205 but still I am 140 lbs and the guys that want to fight me is usually 190 and up(once it was with a fat guy that weight like 260). I've notice that most guys that think they can beat people with puching and kicking are usually 6' tall and 200 lbs. hey if I was that big i would stand and punch and kick too.

its always the guy that weight 250 pound that is telling me "hey you need to through your body into your punches". He wants me to stand there and trade punches with a guy that is 110 pounds more than me. give me a break. I've been in enough fights to know that I can't take a punch from a big guy. has anyone notice that most martial art always has one guy through one punch and the other guy would through like 500 different moves at the attacker while the attacker stands there.

Read this carefully:

In real life no one will stand there while you punch him in the face, twist his arm, kick him in the groin, sweep him, and god knows what else you imagine in your head. I believe and have experience that if two people are standing then it is one action for one reaction and vice versa. as soon as you through a punch, your opponent will either punch back , move, grab, kick etc. He will not stand there while you do your demonstration. look back at your technic, do you have any technic that will work one for one or does all your technic require you to do 2 or more action for his one action. Unless you are flash, what makes you think you are so fast that you can pull off 2 or move actions(moves) to his one.

i am a beginner so please forgive me if i have offended anyone. this is just my thoughts.

Live to learn. I am a White belt in BJJ.

catchtom

Go look at a good Kenpo or KAjukenbo school- one hit, moving to another hit, to a grab- u dont move and let your opponent stare at you as you move, you hit and you keep moving quickly leaving your attacker with no time to respond

Krav MAga is the same, hurting the opponent to keep on hurting him some more until he cant try to hurt you anymore...

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

IDEALLY, all MA are that way. IDEALLY, they will have no time to respond. REALISTICALLY, you will get hit back. that doesn't mean that you shouldn't train that way. you juat need to accept the fact that you may get hit.

my thai coach helped a kenpo school (they are friends of ours and train in the same building) with a black belt test. the instructor wanted him to spar with his students that were testing. coach dropped one with a liver punch and almost KOed another with a liver punch.... realistically, that can happen.

I've sparred someone who promised me he could get the "seven swords" technique to work on me... he has yet to hit me with more than two strikes from that combo.

First of hasn't this subject come up enough already. :roll:

Now, if multiple attackers com your probably IMO screwed anyway, so going to the ground probably won't make a difference in that case but if you wind up 1 on 1 and stiil you don't want to go to the ground you should still train there so that if the stuff hits the fan you know what to do. For that I sugest BJJ. But if you want to get good at stand up try JKD. Both are practical for street fighting.

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

I believe in thai boxing, it seems really realistic, moving away from an attach, not extending the arm to block. I don't believe in blocking with your arm extended. I believe that if you block, than that is your move(action) and now it is your opponents action or move. I would love to learn jkd,tkd,karate,kung fu, krav etc. but i have yet to see any martial art that has a good/realistic counter to a punch then boxing/thaiboxing. i've been searching the net and i have taken karate for a short period of time. My sensei in karate taught me katas and forms and i see him practice kata and form but when i saw him fight/spar he did none of it, he started boxing. what happen to all the stuff he was teaching me? when you say hit and move, and multiple strikes, isn't that boxing? With no time to respond? The guys I have fought somehow seem to respond quicker than I could respond to him, and they never took martial art. They just went crazy on me. I am realistic, I don't expect to beat 2 guys at the same time, I would be happy winning against one.

I practice bjj now, and i am just a blue belt. I found that i am able to beat guys that out weight me by 60 pounds or more fairly easy. They just didn't know what to do when we ended up on the ground. Now if i can find an art for the stand up then i would be set. is JKD like karate or is it like boxing? I box a little and can do ok against guys my size but with bigger guys it doesn't work. I would hit them 5 times with my body in the punch and i don't even move them. But when they hit me to the shoulder and go flying to the ground. It is hard for bigger guys to hit me, but after a while they do, and I end up on the ground. I don't mind getting hit, but i can't take the punch very well from big guys. what should i do? I don't want to learn martial art to fight guys my size, because no one my size pick on me, only guys much bigger and sometimes faster. there must be something i can do/learn.

Live to learn. I am a White belt in BJJ.

JKD is very practical there are no katas or anything like that it has alot of thai boxing in it along with savat and wing chung. If you have it in your area I would go check it out.

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard