• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to get sensei to teach me my new stuff?

GojuRyu Shawn

Not only do you continue to practice your white belt stuff, but make sure that every time you advance a belt, you spend time reviewing ALL your previous belts.

I saw a good example recently of someone testing for their purple stripe [in our school the strip signifies that you are have about half the techniques/basics for, and are making progress towards your next belt]. Anyway, The student knew his new techniques very well. And he knew his Yellow Belt techniques very well, but he struggled with the orange belt techniques. Why? Because he had just learned the new stuff, and we always go over the yellow belt techniques with the new students, but he had neglected to continue practicing the orange belt stuff. It fell by the wayside.

I will be testing for my orange belt on Thursday, and I will be in no rush to get on to the new techniques [although I certainly look forward to it :) ]. Every day I go over as many of my old techniques as possible so that I do not forget them or get out of practice.

The moral of this rambling little story is to take advantage of every moment you have to practice the stuff you already know. Even at this early belt level I can tell that for me, the more I practice what I know, the easier it is for me to learn the new stuff.

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everyone has said... patience. Practicing your basic stuff is important for if you don't all of your more advanced stuff will crumble. You may feel as though it is very repetitive, but I highly doubt that you have perfected them. So enjoy your training, practice hard knowing you are getting better, and I am sure your instructor will teach you more when you are both ready.

At our Dojo we have a guy who is a shodan for 5 years now and despite training only 3 times per month and neglecting "the old stuff" as he calls the kata that are for lower belts (in his opinion again), he thinks that he is more then ready to go on an exam for nidan :-? :P :lol: . Oh and by the way a green belt karateka has a better techniq, speed and kime than him.

hara wo neru

hey shawn my only advice is to be patient w/ him. goju is very traditional so the same old white belt techniques.... get used to them, i am a black belt and that is the majority of what i train is basics. your basics are what really works. all of the fancy katas and stuff like that will come in time but to have them work first your basics have to. goju for lack of a better word can be very boring and tedious but if you stick with it you will find the rewards far surpas the time you put into it. good luck.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

As your knowledge base grows you'll realize that those boring white belt techniques can be something else entirely just by using a little imagination.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Maybe he's not teaching you fun new yellow belt stuff because there isn't any fun new yellow belt stuff? Or maybe he thinks that you need a little bit more practice with the old white belt stuff before you move on to something new?

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

I know what you are talking about, when I got my second belt the instructors said that they whould teach me to sparr well and thay just started this passed tuesday. But do not be frustrated, he will teach you new moves trust me. :wink: And as for how to ask him to teach you now moves without being pestering, trick him into teaching you new things like asking him to show you how to do something :brow: but do not do it over and over and over again because he WILL start to get angry. :kaioken:

HOLLA :karate: :oops: 8) :D :angel: :wave:

I know what you are talking about, when I got my second belt the instructors said that they whould teach me to sparr well and thay just started this passed tuesday. But do not be frustrated, he will teach you new moves trust me. :wink: And as for how to ask him to teach you now moves without being pestering, trick him into teaching you new things like asking him to show you how to do something :brow: but do not do it over and over and over again because he WILL start to get angry. :kaioken:

HOLLA :karate: :oops: 8) :D :angel: :wave:

Haha, he just taught me new stuff. I already knew the block, the Kake Uke, but I didn't know the back hand passed UNDER the front hand after it went across. And I know the first 8 moves of takyoko(spelling, i know) kake uke.

Current: Yellow Belt in GojuRyu. White Belt in Kabudo.