• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whether to Take a Test

Hello all,

First, thanks to everyone who has responded to my earlier questions. I've found KF to be a great source of information.

Soon, I need to decide whether to sign up to take a test for 5th kyu. Unlike some dojos, our instructor does not invite or ask students to take a test when he feels they're ready. Rather, he establishes minimum training hours, and when you reach the hours, you can sign up to take the next test.

I have in the past asked my sensei if I should test, and he replied that since he would be performing the examination, he couldn't tell me that. He said the important question was whether or not I felt I was ready to test.

I have seen the 5th kyu test before, and it isn't much different than my 6th kyu test, except for the addition of the kata Heian Yondan. I assume the standards for performance will be higher, but I don't know how much higher!

When I ask other students in the dojo how they decide when to test, they think that the real test may happen in the week before the test, and if you really weren't ready, that Sensei would let you know that you were not ready. I have indeed noticed that the week before I take a test, Sensei is especially demanding in training.

So, assuming I have the required hours, how do I know if I am ready to take the test?

Thanks for your advice!

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A common saying in the school I train at, is that you are always being tested. Everytime you are on deck you will be seen and watched, your kata will be noticed, and your attitude will be too. It helps to take the pressure off of the week before promotion announcements and it also allows you to get a consistent feedback.

Only you can know you are ready, that is the thing about life, you cannot let others choose your destiny. You can either try today and pass or fail, or try the next time around, but eventually everything will work out. Take the pressure off of yourself, you have all of your requirements in, just let yourself have fun. Good Luck, and I am sure you will do fine.

A common saying in the school I train at, is that you are always being tested. Everytime you are on deck you will be seen and watched, your kata will be noticed, and your attitude will be too. It helps to take the pressure off of the week before promotion announcements and it also allows you to get a consistent feedback.

Only you can know you are ready, that is the thing about life, you cannot let others choose your destiny. You can either try today and pass or fail, or try the next time around, but eventually everything will work out. Take the pressure off of yourself, you have all of your requirements in, just let yourself have fun. Good Luck, and I am sure you will do fine.

I fully agree with that. If your instructor does not tell you if you are ready or not you must judge by yourself. If you think you can make it go for it.

Best luck! :karate:

Even if the test does not go well, it's not the end of the world, it will help to know yourself better.

Solar......the funny thing about tests is that since youre not "at that level".....and this applies to all ranks...even the "Dans".......youre not qualified to judge whether or not your "ready".......

Just go about your training as you normally would....there is no "magical" change that happens when you put on a new belt......if youve seen the test before, and you think you can perform whats required at that skill level.....go for it......if you pass.....then you know you were "ready......if you fail.......you know you werent.......either way......afterwards.....train even harder.

Best of luck......always be confident.....but not cocky. Our best wishes are with you, and if we can help (I hope I speak for all of the instructor level folks here).....let us know HOW we can help.....and we will......at least.....I will. :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Sounds like good advice overall. If you think you are ready, test. Your school sets up minimum number of hours and such and if you meet those and have been working hard then you will not have a problem.

I've had students that would never test unless we almost forced them to. Part of what you learn in MA is to be honest about yourselves and your abilities.

Good luck! Sounds like you'll do great!

Mo

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

Thanks for the advice!

I did sign up for the test, and in the following training session, sensei gave me some very specific feedback on some of my techniques and stances. I will be working on that, and if I feel satisfied that I have improved the areas he indicated, I will probably proceed with the test.

I think taking the risk of signing up worked well in any case, because I'm pretty sure that I would not have gotten the specific feedback otherwise. So, I think it turned out to my advantage whether or not I actually take the test.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

When I studied Shotokan there were never any formal tests. Just as martialbrown said we were always being tested. I didn't even know when I was testing for my Black Belt-it just happened one day. To tell you the truth I never felt "worthy" of promotion-not to say that I didn't respect Sensei's decisions-I just felt that I could have worked a little bit harder. I think that is the key: Never be satisfied, strive for constant improvement, train hard. That's what teachers are looking for in their students and what keeps you growing as a martial artist. I know that you will do well at your test simply because you question yourself. You may not understand but you will eventually.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

IMO You really have to evaluate your reasons for testing. For example, Are you in competition to test so you can be a higher belt than someone? Is there a training reason? :-? Like your sensei will not teach you anything new unless you are a certain belt. ( Which I personally think is ridiculous, and nothing more than a money making scam)? Is it just purely ego? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, being handed a different color belt will not automatically enlighten you with more MA knowledge and skill. I have always been fascinated by those who seek the the admiration of others, and feel they have to brag about what color their belt is what dan they are. :oops:

Solar kid said that a week before his test the instructor gave him some real specific advice on certain aspects of his ability, stances and things like that. My question is this, Why hasn't he been more strict up until now. :idea: Basically he has let solar kid get away with sub standard performance for this long but since he will be testing under him he wants him to perform well. Sounds like it doesn't matter to him how he does until he is ready to fork out some money for testing. But of course I really can't say for sure, just an outsider looking in. I just know when my instructor ask for a stance or anything he lets you know right then if your doing it wrong.

P.S. Can I have fries with that belt? :lol:

Honor all things.

Solar kid said that a week before his test the instructor gave him some real specific advice on certain aspects of his ability, stances and things like that. My question is this, Why hasn't he been more strict up until now. :idea: Basically he has let solar kid get away with sub standard performance for this long but since he will be testing under him he wants him to perform well. Sounds like it doesn't matter to him how he does until he is ready to fork out some money for testing.

I disagree here. I realize that you are making the assumption that Solar Kid has been allowed to "get away" with substandard performance but I do not think his sensei would act any differently otherwise when preparing a student for a test. Students can't be spoonfed. There has to be an expectation that they must practice and discover some things on their own. A pregrading evaluation is to identify a students weak areas and show him how to improve, not to hurry up and fix shoddy performance so the instructor looks good. I do agree, if is this is in fact the case, that it smells of French fries and he should re-evaluate the program.

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/