• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to fight a WRESTLER with martial arts

Son Goku the monkeyking

Okay we have covered fighting a boxer but what about fighting a person who knows wrestling. :-?

I have fought many fighters who wrestle you down to the ground when they fight you, or they come at you so fast you have know time to time to hit them with a kick or anouther move. I should know I ONCE WAS ONE. Well at least before I myself got jumped and decided to start martial arts like my mom did. :evil: :evil:

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to fight one of these guys ? :idea:

Hope I get as many posts as the boxing post

HOLLA. :up: :wave:

sincerely

Son Goku the monkeyking

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take out their knees before they get to you, side step and smack to their head etc.

If you are any good at your art a wrestler should not be able to get a hold of you before you have knocked him to the floor.

Personally I don't think as many fights go to the ground as people make out (I'm talking serious confrontations - not including the schoolyard type brawls). If you ever watch a fight kicking off it usually involves men pushing and shoving at each other... they'll get separated and then one will usually rush in and sucker punch the other. This means that it usually ends up with one person on the floor whilst the other stands up and him (and his mates) kick the cr*p out of the one on the floor!

JMHO.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Take out their knees before they get to you, side step and smack to their head etc.

If you are any good at your art a wrestler should not be able to get a hold of you before you have knocked him to the floor.

Personally I don't think as many fights go to the ground as people make out (I'm talking serious confrontations - not including the schoolyard type brawls). If you ever watch a fight kicking off it usually involves men pushing and shoving at each other... they'll get separated and then one will usually rush in and sucker punch the other. This means that it usually ends up with one person on the floor whilst the other stands up and him (and his mates) kick the cr*p out of the one on the floor!

JMHO.

I disagree. A good grappler will stand a good chance of being able to take a hit, grab ahold of you, and take you down, even if you are a skilled striker. But there are strategies you can use. Bas Rutten, who fights a lot of wrestlers as a pro MMA fighter, suggests not throwing jabs. He says an experienced fighter will slip the jab, or just take it, and enter grappling range. When you throw a technique, make it HURT him bad. Here's a quote from Rutten:

"...if I jab Mark Coleman or Randleman or any good good wrestler out there, they will take MY * down (as all the other jabbers) and do the ground and pound. If I hit somebody only with power shots, they HAVE to defend first, otherwise the get KO'd. See? Just hit them hard."

Source: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143419&page=5&pp=20

I'm sure others can come up with more advice as well.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

It's hard to say what will work, some wrestlers like high tie ups, some like to shoot, some like to shoot then stand up for a high tie up or upper body lock...it's really hard to say. Some like to shoot in deep and pop out the side lifting one leg...do you see what I mean?

The only answer is to wreatle...and when I say this I mean sprawl hard. A good drill for a stand up fighter is kick and sprawl. Have one guy (a guy who knows how to shoot) stand behind a guy holding thai pads, work the pads and have the shooter, shoot in at will. Your job is to work the pads like your fighting and sprawl when the shot comes.

that's not true at all.

1. he's not shooting at you from a mile away, he's shooting from punching distance or closer. you most likely will not be able to sidestep in time, nor will you be able to unleash multiple strikes. If that first one doesn't drop him, you're gonna go down. Once he has you up in the air and going backward, you will have zero power to your strikes, and they will do no good until you are on the ground again - but that won't be until you are on your back.

One thing to keep in mind is that in order to learn to defend it, you need to actually defend it - that means working with someone who has grappling experience. Otherwise, They will be doing it all wrong. This is the reason that many people think defending a tackle is the same as defending a good double leg.

As far as defenses go, work takedown defenses, like the sprawl. After you've sprawled and stopped his momentum, THEN you worry about striking. Another option is to keep him back pedalling while he's standing. This is easier said than done, because a grappler doesn't mind absorbing a few shots if it means he will get you where he wants you. If you can keep him back pedalling though, he will be unable to shoot effectively, because it requires forward motion.

1. I've seen several go to the ground. Also, in some instances, they are better serverd on the ground. For example, when you work security, you are allowed to restrain, but you cannot strike. What does that mean? That you will have to grapple.

2. It doesn't matter how often fights go to the ground. What matters is that some of them do go there. Even if statistics showed only 5 out of every 20 fights go to the ground, how do you know that you won't be one of those 5? You don't.

Edited by SevenStar

JMHO.

With all do respect you have no idea what you talking about. :wink:

Actually, that shows a complete lack of respect. If you are going to be rude and dismissive I am not even going to bother to dignify that with a constructed debate.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

the thing I would do is to try to keep him at distance and snap back very fast my shots.. because he will try to grab my hands or feet...

avoid using techniques that can be more easily grabbed ( avoid round kicks, use snapping side kick or front kick instead).

This is what I would do in order to maximize my chances of success if is much better then me... bad luck.

I have fought many fighters who wrestle you down to the ground when they fight you, or they come at you so fast you have know time to time to hit them with a kick or anouther move. I should know I ONCE WAS ONE.

Well if you used to be one keep the skills in your arsenal.

The best advice I could give you is to have a few solid grappling moves in your material. In order to be a balanced Martial Artist you need to be able to have a clue about this kind of attack. The most dangerous kind of person is one who can mix it up in the stand-up and take you down when they need too. Luckily I have a wrestling background and my school has grappling along with the curriculum. We also do free sparring that allows grappling to be mixed in with low kicks and other banned sparring moves.

Here's a link that is worth checking out for more ideas.

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=14272&highlight=

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.