• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bad Conduct?

elliotspirrett

When you recieve your black belt, would that be a good time to start condiering another style/form?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. When you recieve your black belt, would that be a good time to start condiering another style/form?

• Yes
    • No, work towards a higher grade
    • It is worth trying to learn multiple styles/forms at any stage
    • No, never, just stick to one style/form

I have a friend at karate who I also go to school with. The problem is, he's a black belt in Shotokan as well as a yellow in Trodai Karate, he think's he's above just about everyone, he also uses his karate outside the dojo in an offensive way. I myself use it myself but only on other people who attend the club when just practicing. But on occasions I have witnessed him doing stupid things like knife hands to the back of people's neck. Should I say something or just let him work his way into trouble. I don't want to seem like an * for saying something. What shall I do?

Practice more if you wanna pass that grading!

Brown (2th kyu) Trodai Karate, training for Black. Ready to become a Capoeirista once more.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't see the connection between the poll and the post but anyhow..

I think that cross training is always beneficial so I started it as a beginner.

About your friend, it is not an uncommon case unfortunately. I don't know directly persons who behave like this but I heard stories about it.

I think that you, as a friend, should try to convince him not to behave like this, but I expect it will be hard to convince him at least it worth a try. You should also pay attention to yourself when you are with him, because you can easily be involved in a brawl so always try to dicourage this behaviour when you are togheter.

Edited by italian_guy

Thanks for your help!

It makes sense what you say! I just don't know if he will listen. He's not someone I get on with very well. But I thinks it's worth a try.

Also I can see what you mean about being ready when around him.

Thanks once again. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Brown (2th kyu) Trodai Karate, training for Black. Ready to become a Capoeirista once more.

Talk to his instructor about what he is doing, and he might sit down and talk to your friend about the meaning of Martial Arts.

This is also a good suggestion! I agree with it.

It's sad that often(i say often because i knew very rare people that know the real meaning of martial arts while practicing them) people think to be over everyone when they reach the black belt or practice multiple martial arts.

It's really difficult to suggest you a solution because this kind of person hardly change mind......so try to invite him to follow the real philosophy of martial arts by little steps.

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

These are all fantastic ideas. Thanks I'm sure when I bring it up to my sensei he will be concerned.

notice that no-one has taken part in my poll so would someone please just answer it anyway? I would just like a second (or third etc.) opinion.

Ah, now people are voting. (They may already have been but I don't think I was looking in the right places)

Thanks.

Is there any point trying to learn more than one Martial art as opposed to more than one style/form? (E.g; Karate and Kick Boxing, as opposed to Trodai Karate and Shotokan Karate)

there is definite benefit - you get exposed to different methods of training and fighting. grapplers don't train the same way a karateka trains. Neither of them train the same way a thai boxer trains. you gain experience and exposure. you may also find methods you prefer compared to what you were currently doing.

I think that training in a soft style and a hard style at the same time is very beneficial. You learn redirection techniques from a soft style and strikes from the hard style. It also keeps a balance of sorts.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War