• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No first attack?

AngelaG

Yeah, in a life or death situation it is an idea (if running awa is no longer an option) to end the fight with one tecnique.

However in the street, if some kid just starts a fight with you, humiliating him is enough, for example, a sweep, or just batting him around. He'll get the idea soon enough and won't give you any more trouble.

But this is slightly off the subject...

Practice more if you wanna pass that grading!

Brown (2th kyu) Trodai Karate, training for Black. Ready to become a Capoeirista once more.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that it's off topic and disagree that jsut batting them around is enough.

Knowing what will end a fight comes with experience. Humiliation usually leads to retaliation and if you wanna walk around in fear of that then your method will probably work well.

I read an interesting article in MA Illustrated today about the first strike and the misinterpretation of the words.

I urge everyone to check it out.

Well no I don't think so.

If you fight someone and they humiliate you terribly by kicking your * all over the place, you are going to be wary of fighting them because you know they have the ability (if they need to) to hurt you and damage you.

If you humiliate someone it will affect them psycologically as well as physically, and it will take them own a peg. I know that this works especially well with bullies, as they think that they are the nuts, but if they are humiliated, they become more aware of the pain and torment they put others through. Thus they begin to see the other side of the story, and perhaps begin to rehabilitate.

In this way humiliating an enemy wil damage their pride and will make them think twice before dsoing something similar again.

Brown (2th kyu) Trodai Karate, training for Black. Ready to become a Capoeirista once more.

Well no I don't think so.

If you fight someone and they humiliate you terribly by kicking your * all over the place, you are going to be wary of fighting them because you know they have the ability (if they need to) to hurt you and damage you.

If you humiliate someone it will affect them psycologically as well as physically, and it will take them own a peg. I know that this works especially well with bullies, as they think that they are the nuts, but if they are humiliated, they become more aware of the pain and torment they put others through. Thus they begin to see the other side of the story, and perhaps begin to rehabilitate.

In this way humiliating an enemy wil damage their pride and will make them think twice before doing something similar again.

I speak from a theoretical phsycology point of view and with experience.

I have seen situations escalate out of control because people seek revenge after a humiliation.

A friend of mine ended up being in a bad situation and killed a man. People will seek retribution. A friend of my dads was shot in the stomach after he humiliated someone when they started a fight with him. If he had used the 1 or 2 devastating moves and ended the fight there he 'might' not have been shot.

Dear friends ! hello and merry christmas ! I am new as you can see but pleased to join and give you my humble opinion .

What "there is no first attack in karate" means is that you don't go looking for fight and start trouble but if you sense that you are in danger of attack you don't need to wait for him to hit you and once his motives are clear to you ,you attack first with 100% commitment ! the more training you do ,the more experience you will have in analysing the situation.

never give up !

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of it like that!

I was just thinking like some kid at school or on the street. I suppose it could elscalte but the average human should realise that they have been beaten, and just get over it if they are humiliated. It's a lesson!

But I can see what you mean. I have now been humiliated and accept defeat!

First of all hello to everybody. I'm new on the board :)

Anyway, from my experience there are only a couple of ways people react. If you just sweep somebody or throw them, they could either get even angrier and attack more ferociously OR they could retreat. The problem is that you never know how someone's going to react. Also, if you really humiliate someone again they could want to seek revenge later on or just accept defeat. So there is always a question of how much force you should apply.

Cheers

KH