• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wing Chun / Kickboxing mix, what do you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think kickboxing it is a good complement to any art.

For grapplers because it adds striking skills and for strikers because it gives the chance to apply their skills to a fighting enviroment with certain rules (good for sport competition) that allow full contact fighting in a relatively safe enviroment (as safe as full contact can be).

Kyoshukin is somewhat like kickbocing too.

I dont get it? How is Kyokushin Karate related to kickboxing in any way, maybe the fact that its full contact i guess, but thats about as far as it goes.

one obvious one is the use of thai style kicking. Thai boxing has had influence over the kyuokushin that we see today.

I dont get it? How is Kyokushin Karate related to kickboxing in any way, maybe the fact that its full contact i guess, but thats about as far as it goes.

Very similar kicks, as Sevenstar said. I also think Kyokushin fighters do some similar types of training drills in order to condition the body and increase the capabilities of the cardiovascular system.

• 10 months later...

Never heard of a wing chun system that advocates retreating of any sort even if it is in a stick & move type thing so I would be a little leary of the WC --and I do not normally like to contradict peoples opinion's of martial arts but I will digress just this once--long range weakness of wing chun? what weakness is this exactly? no art, no matter how proficientit may seem is adept outside the distance where strikes can be made. If by this comment you meant kicking distance then you truly are unaware of wing chun and I apologize for my insensitive comment.

Barring that however, to put it simply-- if you are not in any striking distance (kicking, punching, or grappling) then your art is useless--you have to close the gap and personally I think that WC has excelled where a lot of MA's have ignored which is closing the gap,i.e entry techniques.

Phew! I feel much better now. Anyway, I think WC and kickboxing can be a good combo--a bit redundant because there are kicks in WC in fact chi gerk is an outstanding kicking form-- but I think you would find a grappling art more useful to take with your WC training than another primarily striking art.

(I say primarily because even though it is kickboxing, most of the competitions I have seen look like amatuer boxing matches with a few muay thai kicks thrown in to weaken the opponent)

When fear is removed, the arrogance of uncertainty is dispelled and it is therefore no longer necessary to prove yourself in any form of combat. By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.

well if your talking about a full on mix do it, ive already perfected my own style which is basically a mix of tai shing pek kwar, tai chi , kickboxing , tiger claw and dragon fist with some odd bits of my own thrown in for style

A man who fights one time in his life Fights always in his soul i/II\i

WCK is a complete kicking art ther is no need to mix it with kick boxing.

Agreed. I believe that if one practises real Wing Chun seriously or to a high level then the notion of adding kick boxing to his art becomes irrelevant.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

thai boxing has had a big influence on kyokushin. Oyama began adding aspects of the style to it after having encouters with various thai boxers.