• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

More Than 1 MA?

June1

a few daya ago I placed my hands in the typical chinese (kung fu) salutation at the beginning of my tai chi class and whispered Osu.

Luckily nobody heard that! :lol:

:lol: I'm glad that it isn't just me who does things like that.

I've been known to accidentally say "Osu" and call my Sifu "Sensei" in Wing Chun class... :blush: :blush:

I was the same when I was at school, though - I used to take French, Latin and Spanish classes and I'd regularly 'invent my own language' by getting them all confused. :roll:

:lol: :lol: three latin or neo-latin languages at the same time? That can be really confusing!!!! :lol: :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the same when I was at school, though - I used to take French, Latin and Spanish classes and I'd regularly 'invent my own language' by getting them all confused. :roll:

:lol: :lol: three latin or neo-latin languages at the same time? That can be really confusing!!!! :lol: :lol:

It sure was!! I also know a little Italian, so that adds to my confusion... :-? :-?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I am only 18, but I have been doing martial arts since I was 5. If you want to cross train in different styles try two that give you two different things. My first style of martial arts is Isshin-ryu Karate. You learn strength, conditioning, and striking ability from this martial art. There isn't much emphasis on grappling however. When I was 7 my instructor began showing me Aikido, because he held a black belt in Aikido as well. Thus began my training in joint locks and pressure points. The two go quite well with eachother. If you are in Shotakan try Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, or Judo. If you're in Judo try a form of Karate that has an emphasis on striking. No matter what you learn, you'll eventually blend it in with your own personallity.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

It is hard to do more than one, unless the practices are close.

For example, you wouldnt want to do TKD, and Judo at the same time.

Maybe a couple of years apart pending the person and art

In my experience, I've found that to be incorrect. Actually, the opposite is true. When you have, say, a grappling style and striking style, you will have no problem keeping the techniques separate from eachother and you will catch on to both. When you are dealing with two striking styles, you have strikes being delivered using different principles. For example, look at the footwork of a style like karate compared to thai boxing. Look at the strikes - they both have a roundhouse kick, but they are done completely different. It's easy for the student to get confused this way, as you have two people teaching you two different ways of doing the same (or similar) technique. I went through that when I was training longfist - it was completely different from muay thai. There is a guy in clas now who trains shotokan, and just started our thai boxing class. He is having similar issues.

Good question June1... i was wondering the same thing. However, i have always been wanting to take another martial art besides the one im currently in... Knowing that it might confuse me and all. I just feel i need more MA than what i am getting now. :)

Hurt rather than injure,

Injure rather than maim,

Maim rather than kill,

kill rather than be killed...

Good question June1... i was wondering the same thing. However, i have always been wanting to take another martial art besides the one im currently in... Knowing that it might confuse me and all. I just feel i need more MA than what i am getting now. :)

I agree on this. My karate class goes for 2 times a week and I have additional 2 days to train (Fri to Sun I'm off) I pick an art which is compatible with my schedule first...

Second I agree with Sevenstar if you cross-train your second art should be different frm the first so you don't get actually confused and you learn something actually different so I complement a Japanise mostly striking with some grappling external art with a chinese mostly grappling with some striking internal art. So I think I've made a good mix. :)

Nothing wrong with what you say. If you feel you need something else, you should start doing some research on the different alternatives available to you. Try to find something that will expand what you already know. Go with an open mind. Good luck!

The Hammer