• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

More Than 1 MA?

June1

Personally, the only reason I see to take more than one martial art is if you find the art that you are currently taking lacks in some areas, or you're just not happy with what you are taking for some reason.

I was lucky from the first and got involved in a system that teaches everything that I wanted to learn about the martial arts. What we don't do, I have no interest in...such as competition, board breaking, flash, etc.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't want ot take two different types of say Japanese Karate(IE Shito Ryu and Shotokan) Cause since they are very similar not only would you get confused in both classes but, since they are so similar you would be learning pretty much the same thing in each class. If you want to study two or more different MA's then, try a combo of say. Shito Ryu(if you can find it as it is a fairly rare style of Karate), JuJistu\Aikido, and Escrima.

Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate....

Surprise...I agree with Shorinryu Sensei on this one.

For a brief while, I was taking iaido and jujitsu in addition to Shorin Ryu.

Since I was taking it out of curiosity rather than a perceived lack in my system, I ended up canning it because Shorin Ryu contains all the grappling that I'll ever need. As far as the sword goes, I don't consider learning that central to my martial arts experience (it was just "cool"...) While it was interesting to see how other styles approached things, it was simply taking time away from my practicing Shorin Ryu. In my mind, my style is very complete in principles and techniques, so there is no need to "cross-train."

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I was thinking the same thing... however i really want to do more than one type of martial art. However, my problem is that i dont know which one(s) to do...

Hurt rather than injure,

Injure rather than maim,

Maim rather than kill,

kill rather than be killed...

Yes, Shorin Ryu Sensei, one of the reasons for exploring other arts may be some sort of insatisfaction about one's original style. But that is certainly not the only reason.

But, aside from that, if a student has the good fortune of finding a school and/or system that offers all or most of what he/she wants, then there is no need to look elsewhere. The problem is, and you may know about this, what is the likelyhood that a beginning prospective student will find a school like yours on his/her first try? Slim chance!

The Hammer

Yes, Shorin Ryu Sensei, one of the reasons for exploring other arts may be some sort of insatisfaction about one's original style. But that is certainly not the only reason.

But, aside from that, if a student has the good fortune of finding a school and/or system that offers all or most of what he/she wants, then there is no need to look elsewhere. The problem is, and you may know about this, what is the likelyhood that a beginning prospective student will find a school like yours on his/her first try? Slim chance!

This is true. When I started, I had the choice of a TKD dojo, a kenpo dojo, or Shorinryu dojo. The Shorinryu dojo was new in town, whereas the other two were well established and had been for at least 10 years at that time. I had watched the TKD and Kenpo classes many times, but the attitude of the instructors (both were frequently STARTING fights in local bars), wasn't my vision of a good attitude. The Shorinryu sensei was new in town and fresh out of his stint in the Navy, stationed and trained on Okinawa. My best friend had joined his dojo a few weeks previously and invited me to come watch. The rest is history.

Beginners usually have no idea ofwhat is going on in a dojo they join, and don't understand what is good, or bad about a particular system until they have been in it for a while. Down the road, they will see possible shortcomings in what htey are learned, as opposed to what they might want out of an art, and start to seek out something else. Hopefully, that "something else" will be available to them.

I was lucky from the first. I knew I didn't like the TKD or Kenpo classes..if nothing else because of the sensei in them.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Attending 2 or more schools at once for someone who has not built a good foundation would be very difficult. Now some schools have programs that include more than 1 style of class, or they offer a program that has a pre-mixed curriculum these styles are mixed martial arts or mixed arts. If you find a good school it is very easy to build a good foundation while learning a mix of techniques that can be applied from all ranges of a self defense situation.

A lot depends on the school, instructors and student. But trying to study at different schools when first starting off is in no way a good idea and I think it kind of works against new martial artists

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

a few daya ago I placed my hands in the typical chinese (kung fu) salutation at the beginning of my tai chi class and whispered Osu.

Luckily nobody heard that! :lol:

:lol: I'm glad that it isn't just me who does things like that.

I've been known to accidentally say "Osu" and call my Sifu "Sensei" in Wing Chun class... :blush: :blush:

I was the same when I was at school, though - I used to take French, Latin and Spanish classes and I'd regularly 'invent my own language' by getting them all confused. :roll:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!