• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

More Than 1 MA?

June1

Hello!

Just wondering....

I've noticed that many members on this forum take more than one form of martial arts. This may be a dumb question, seeing as I'm only taking one (Shotokan Karate), but wouldn't taking several forms at the same time confuse you?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of those members have been studying martial art for around like 10 to 20 years it is hard for people like me who's under 20 to imagine. For now I think I am just going to stick with one style and maybe pick up another after 5 more years.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.... Maybe Tai Chi or another style of Karate.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Studying more than one style? Why not, but which styles?

For example, if you study a traditional system of karate with a good sensei, maybe you should stick to that style of karate. At some point, you may want to try other things that may add to your repertoire. Another style of karate? Maybe not, it would be more of the same, or a different way of doing the same thing. You may try some grappling style such as judo, ju jutsu, aikido or something else in that area. Or, you may be interested in weapons, so, if you practice karate, you may want to explore Okinawan kobudo, or maybe kendo or iaido. Another alternative may be Philipino martial arte such as kali/escrima if you like sticks and knives. The list of choices is quite extensive.

It would definitely be a good idea to concentrate in your current martial art and develop a good level of competency before you start training in any other art.

Good luck,

The Hammer

I'do two martial arts. In karate we have 8 kata and in Chuan Fa we do only the short and the long form, so I don't have to memorize a lot of same repeting movements with lots of different kata aka forms. I do Tai Ji Quan mainly because it helps with my karate, I'm more relaxed and soft during strikes before kime. Plus it gives me a different prospective into karate techniqs.

hara wo neru

I do goju ryu karate and Tai chi chuan. They are so different that you do not get confused and I think they complement each other well. I consider karate as my main art and tai chi as my complement, I think that tai chi training helps a lot on focus and give the habbit of staying loose. These things are useful on karate too.

The only problem I have sometimes is confusing the etiquette... a few daya ago I placed my hands in the tipical chinese (kung fu) salutation at the beginning of my tai chi class and whispered Osu.

Luckily nobody heard that! :lol:

Edited by italian_guy

It is hard to do more than one, unless the practices are close.

For example, you wouldnt want to do TKD, and Judo at the same time.

Maybe a couple of years apart pending the person and art

I have to disagree with this. I think the more different they are the easier it is because the two are separated in your mind. If the two arts are too similar then during lessons the mind will start crossing over (such as when kata are similar - starting Heian Godan ending in Bassai Dai etc.) If I was to train in another style of karate I would find it much harder as in one lesson I'd need long stances and in the other higher stances, plus I would come to it with a load of preconceptions (I'm not a beginner I've been doing shotokan karate for x amount of years etc.). If I was to take up Judo I would come to it with a beginners mind and it would be totally new to me so I think I would learn more effectively.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Taijiquan training is good in relation to any martial art. In China, many external martial artists begin internal training at some piont in their careers, and Taijiquan is a top choice for that type of training.

Edited by The Hammer

The Hammer

That's exactly what I mean Angela. If somebody trains in, let's say, Shotokan, and then, simultaneously, begins training in Shorin Ryu, there will be a lot of confussion and the result will be less than the sum of its parts. But, if that Shotokan stylist, begins training in Ju Jutsu, ah, that's another story. He/She will gain knowledge that will not interfere with the karate training and will gain practical knowledge in an art that will augment that person's overall martial arts ability. Here, the result will be greater than the sum of its parts.

Of course, it would be ideal if the karate practitioner has been at it for at least a few years before exploring the second art.

The Hammer