• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can someone explain gekisai itch to me?

GojuRyu Shawn

a cool fact about this kata and goju is that in goju there is not a particular pregression of kata in a line but rather in a circle with no kata being less or more important (with the exception of sanchin) and I have a sensei in Japan that recently told me that the Goju-kai which is the leading authority of all goju-ryu have just recently made this kata a black belt kata. So it is a very important kata. Also did you know that Myiagi invented this kata?

I think the important thing to realize that it isn't the kata itself (although I do consider many advanced kata to emphasize more things than other kata), but how you do it.

I pose you this question. Now for everyone reading this, you can replace the name of the person with anyone you want to, and the name of the kata with a simple beginner's kata in your style.

If Miyagi Chojun did Gekisai, or if Chibana Chosin did Pinan Shodan, are those kata "beginner's kata"? I don't think so. His Gekisai was the kata of a master. Your gekisai may be the kata of a beginner when you first start it. But as you progress, for the sake of example, when you become shodan, your gekisai better be a shodan kata and not just a "beginner's kata".

Just something to think about.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no gekisai ichi is not a beginners kata as i just explained goju is not a particular pregression but a circle.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

I didn't miss your point, I think you missed mine. You were saying how in Goju Ryu, there is a circle in terms of how advanced everything is. I'm saying that circle of the advanced nature of the kata is present in all styles, as it is dependent on the practitioner, not the kata or the style.

Like I was saying, the Pinan kata were devised as a simplification to teach schoolkids. All the same, the Pinan kata in the hands of a skilled practitioner isn't the kata of schoolkids, it is at that time the kata of a skilled practitioner.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

in japan this kata has been named a black belt kata not to say that when you reach black belt it should be at a black belt level but rather you do this kata at a test for shodan. The goju-kai will ever so often pick kata that are to be emphasised so that the kata is not under trained this year they happened to choose this particular kata. thats what i was trying to say sorry if ther was any confusion.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

the way gojuchad explained is standard, hands come to both sides, first punch left is higher while in right forward stance ,the step to natural ,sit back to left forward stance and after mawashi block ,bouble punch with right higher.

in gekisai dai ni, there are 2 open hand circular block and after second one you keep the block and turn from 45 degree back to straight forward still in cat stance then left back to attention stance.

I am hopeing master jules reads this and explain more.

rather then learn it as:

Then step backwards into sanchindache chudan uke, left foot foreward.

We learnt it as, step forward with left, and to the right with right foot. It's a "step-step".

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

I just sat here for a half an hour detailing every move of Gekisai Dai Ichi........my comp froze and the post didnt go through........arggggggg !!!!!!!

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Nah.....old comp......no worries bro......

Ill try to get back to this post later today and go through it again. :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

A tip; for long posts copy (Ctrl+C) the text before you hit post..just in case. As long as your comp doesnt restart it will be there, ready to paste.

Can you ell im a vetran of the lost post..