• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feeling Faint

Sandhoppa

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if its just me not being in that great of shape yet but...when I started doing karate (Goju Ryu), after some of the warm up exericses (wheelbarrows across the mat and then 10 pushups at the end, jumping jacks, punching and kicking), I started to run out of breath and actually feel winded to the point of lightheadedness. This is all while everyone else is perky and are ready to keep going. I felt kinda crappy that I was the only one feeling this way. They told me to sit down for a bit and get some juice to drink because I might have been low on electrolytes or something. Anyway, anyone have suggestions?

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Eating properly and getting enough rest is the most important thing. It is probably because of one of these that you feel so light headed. If you are just starting there is also a good chance that your body is out of shape for the activity. Everyone else in your class is ready to go because they are more accustomed to it so therefore their blood is carrying more oxygen to the body, their muscles are stronger, and their lungs are in better shape.

In regards to electrolytes, they are important because they carry the electrical impulses to your cells. When you sweat, you lose these electrolytes and it is important to replenish them. A good way to do this is at the end of class instead of drinking pure water, eat some crackers with the water. This is why you'll see sodium chloride added to all those sports drinks like Powerade.

So, work hard, take care of your body by getting proper sleep, eating a balanced diet and avoiding the junk food, drink a lot of water, and avoid adding unnecessary stress to your life.

You need to ease into a new exercise routine. Jumping in and trying to keep up like this, if you haven't excercised in awhile, will do more harm than good. Checkout the health, training and fitness section of the site for ideas on how to improve your fitness levels.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

I also recently started goju ryu, and it took me 4 weeks before I could make it through a whole class without asking for a break. Believe me, I EARNED that night that I didn't have to ask for a break. My first night, I didn't make it 15 minutes. :cry:

A 1-hour lesson on continuously working blocks, punches, and kicks up and down the mat is very strenuous. It was for me anyway. Stamina and endurance must be built.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I concur with the others that it is less a problem of electrolyte-imbalance and more of a physical fitness issue. All it takes is time and practice...and lots of sweat, but if you stick with it, you should have no problem in the future.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

As far as food goes Sandhoppa....the general rule is...."dont go full...but dont go empty"......stay properly hydrated as well. You must also remember, as was stated before, that a new excercise routine, especially if you begin at a relatively low fitness level, can be very "taxing" on the body, and the mind as well. It is not an "excuse" to have to "ease into it".....Biting off more than you can chew so to speak isnt the best way to approach fitness of any kind. The body has to have a starting point. Once you establish your "baseline" fitness level, attempt to make your progress in very small increments. By using this method, your body will make its progress in the proper manner. It does no good for anyone to workout to the extent that they are crippled for the following three days. As your fitness level increases, your recovery time will decrease accordingly. At the beginning, dont expect to do all that much.....go as long as you can, so that you will need say....one to two days of recovery time....if that means that you can go for an hour....great....if it means you can only go for a half hour, or even 15 minutes....fine...whatever...so be it.......after you "recover"....try to make 20 minutes for your next workout......shoot for small steps of progress....that way your body can acclimate, or "get used to" whats going on.....before you know it, youll be doing the whole class, coming in early, staying late, and training every day......Im sure you can eat a two pound steak.......just not in one big bite, right ?........same applies here......little by little bro......youll get there......I give you my personal guarentee on that........NOW DROP AND GIMME 50 !!!!!!!! LOL....just kidding....lets start with 5.........GOOD LUCK.......and remember.....were all wishing you well......especially me ;-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Wow you guys are great! Thanks for the encouragement and information. Its just that I started with a group of 2 other beginners and they were doing things with no problem but I think the girl already did tai chi and yoga and the other guy just seemed more athletic than me. Its all good, you all are right, just stick with it and not overexert myself. As usual Master Jules, I thank you for your advice man! I am back in the game and it feels great. I will certainly look at the health and fitness section. Thanks again folks! :karate:

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

LOL.......Love the siggy Sandhoppa :D :P

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Hi

Have you had your blood pressure checked recently? If you have low BP and it drops after hard exercise it will bring your blood sugar with it and then you can guarantee you will hit the floor. It may be worth while getting it checked and if it is low getting some dietary advice on how to keep your blood sugar levels high.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum