• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Making fun of karate people?

ShotokanKid

Haven't seen many Bruce Lee films, myself, but, you know, karate is Japanese, and Bruce Lee is Chinese. The Japanese and the Chinese have had their, uh, problems. Could explain that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You know what, in most Bruce Lee films Karate fighters were always pictureed as bad guys.

yer i see that in a few bruce lee movies but thats probaly because the chinese and japanese werent that good friends back then, in kiss of the dragon jet li takes on a whole room of karate guys .lol

http://jedimc.tripod.com/ma.html - what MA do you do, this is my poll.

You know what, in most Bruce Lee films Karate fighters were always pictureed as bad guys.

yer i see that in a few bruce lee movies but thats probaly because the chinese and japanese werent that good friends back then, in kiss of the dragon jet li takes on a whole room of karate guys .lol

I never read a Bruce Lee book...but people who did told me that he considered Karate an useless martial art.........i'm not sure anyway...they are only rumors that can influence people and we know how people are influenced by TV and Movies idols. :oops:

Me too i met idiots that tried to convince me that i'm wasting my time with Shotokan...but hey...remember that its not the good art itself that make a man great in it...its the man that make the art.

So if you have any doubt while practicing karate...think about that. :karate:

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

alright, first of all:

in bruce lee movies, karate wasn't evil, and not even japanese people were evil, it was racism that was evil. y'know, just to get that straight. bare in mind, in... i wanna' say fists of fury... the group of employees at that restaurant were training karate (before training under bruce), and i think it's the same movie where he fights chuck norris and he's treated with the utmost respect. it's racism that's the bad guy, not a karateka.

second, kiss of the dragon, that was kali, not karate. at least, they were working with sticks, but that said, they were in a police station, so they were probably just learning how to use them to bust the knee caps of suspected marijuana users. anyway, kali comes from the philipines. so uh, yeah.

third, bruce didn't say karate was useless. he said all systems were incomplete, and that one should open his mind, take what he could from many styles, and train what works for you. not just be hopelessly stuck on one style. so it's not just an anti-karate thing, it's an anti-single style thing.

and finally, my wing chun class trains outside in the spring-fall season, and we get that all the time. best to just ignore it. you should be above it anyway, and just stay focused on what your doing. you'll be that much better off with it if that guy decides to pick a fight with you :wink:

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

alright, first of all:

in bruce lee movies, karate wasn't evil, and not even japanese people were evil, it was racism that was evil.

That was one of the issues in some movies

third, bruce didn't say karate was useless. he said all systems were incomplete, and that one should open his mind, take what he could from many styles, and train what works for you. not just be hopelessly stuck on one style. so it's not just an anti-karate thing, it's an anti-single style thing.

Yes-strange how some interpret, or mis-interpret things?

and finally, my wing chun class trains outside in the spring-fall season, and we get that all the time. best to just ignore it. you should be above it anyway, and just stay focused on what your doing. you'll be that much better off with it if that guy decides to pick a fight with you

yes best to ignore it until they come to physically do something :wink:

these remarks can be quite annoying, but i have a system, a plan. not that i would ever want to get back at people, i just want to show them how serious martial arts is.

i invite them to come to a testing with me. mostly higher rank testing, or i invite them to one of my testings. most people have the common sense to see how hard people work in martial arts then they understand and say how cool it is. they still make fun, but at least i can keep my mind at ease, i know they have seen what it can do. also, i will occasionly invite people to a free class. that gets their attention! but that is what i do. if it bothers you that much, try it.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

I know that ive been made fun at and people like to joke around when i talk about or they see me practicing my moves... i just dont pay attention to them. Because i know im better than they are, if someone does karate or any other type of martial art, its their thing... heck let them do it! Without the joking around thing. To some people this is a VERY serious thing.. i mean come on!

Hurt rather than injure,

Injure rather than maim,

Maim rather than kill,

kill rather than be killed...

From what ive heard Bruce Lee could be quite the racist himself. Like ppl have said he said most system were incomplete not just karate..

But perhaps karate was pictured as the bad guys because its strongly associated with the japanese?