• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pulled my left hamstring

Xerxes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few years ago, I pulled my right hamstring from buttocks to knees once doing a reverse roundhouse kick a little too high. I fought a couple more matches that night, then went to a tournament and fought two matches I won the first, but that is where I think a lot of the dammage was done. Second match, I was a standing target! Fortunately, it was single elimination and I didn't have to go again. So, that's my first bit of advice is to stop any training or sparing/fighting.

Next, you need medical care. There may be something there that predisposes you to that injury, and it may make healing more difficult if not treated as well. In my case, it was an older injury that was not treated or cared for correctly. Also, get a refferal to a good sports physical therapist. They not only help with the healing and recovery, but they can give you a stretching and exercise routine tailored to your build and your injury. And, muscle is like any other tissue- it will scar where it was dammaged. This is permanent, so you want to minimize this now in the recovery. The worse it is, the more it will predispose you to injury later on.

Don't rush back into training. Use this time to study, read, maybe coach a little, work on your notes (or start a set if you don't do this). Observe others to gain more understanding. Whatever keeps you involved in the martial arts without actually doing anything that could complicate your injury.

Too bad this happened, but it isn't the end of your carreer. Just a big bump in the road. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

I've never pulled a hamstring, but a few people have told me that it's the worst muscle to pull... that it's hard to get comfortable in any position you sit/lay in. I imagine the treatment is the same as any muscle you pull (and delta1 just gave you good advice for rehab).

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

I agree with Delta. Don't overdo it, don't rush back get the proper treatment. I have been fortunate to have that same advice given to me.

When I "twinged" my hammy my sensei immediately stopped me from training and had me in the corner with an ice pack. He would not let me go any more than 30% then 50% power after a week on "ANY" kicking techniques. Then after 2 weeks he let me open it up a little till I gradually returned to normal. Ice packs after training followed by a rub down with

Tiger Balm before bedtime then wrapping it in an ace bandage overnight.

I was back to 100% in a little over 3 weeks.

I was lucky to not really miss much training time thanks to my sensei's knowledge and experience with injuries. He stressed that while I was training with the injury to work on my technique and not power.

The funny thing is that little injury really helped me tighten up my form and mechanics of my basics.

Hang in there X-man, it's not a total loss unless you let it get you down. :)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.