How Would You Rate Your Dojo?

Karategurl

Rate Your Dojo :)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Your Dojo :)

• Great
    • Good
    • Bad

Mine is good so far - I have only been a student there for just over a week, but the Sensei's are really nice and understanding when someone is a little less coordinated than others! I looked at a couple of places - other places left me feeling they were more concerned with getting the money from my pocket which turned me off. The people running the dojo I am currently in almost treated it as a secondary issue - the main focus was on the student's goals and what they can teach.

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My karate school is *. Our instructor is senile and derranged. He claims everyday we will spar, and then when class begins with the usual streches he takes off like a bat-out-of-hell, goes to the changing room, puts his normal clothes on and runs out the door. This has happened for 2 consecutive months. When he leaves, the highest-ranking member who has been in the school for like 10 years takes charge and teaches us basic drills. I have only learned 2 kata in the whole time being there, because instructor is never there, and the senior member wants to do basic drills like blocking then punching. Its been like this since March. When quiestioned why he for an unknown reason leaves in the midst of class, he looks at you in the eye and mumbles something incoherrent. I'd change schools but I have a contract. BJJ has been my mainstay for 12 years, and I decided to take on karate, to get a feel for kicks, etc. The few times that he has taught, he makes us all grab 12 pound medecine balls and play catch with them (literrally) The school has lost so many memebers...Only about 6 remain. 1 more month, and contract is over. Thank God.

karatekaBR86, I'm so sorry to hear you're disenchanted with your Dojo. I wish you all the best on your up coming search.

I am very happy with my Dojo, I Sweat, Smile, and Learn. Even in the beginner's classes I either am reminded of something I forgot to apply, or given something new to think about.

"There is a time in every mans education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse,... " Emerson

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....

Sensei is hilarious and awesome all at the same time. He makes things so simple for us to understand. Movements, stances and even practical real life situations he makes it easy for us to understand and to apply. The people are helpful and friendly for the most part. Wish we had more training equipment though.

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

my new dojo is great , i was lookin for a new one till "shorin Ryuu" mentioned some names and i did some research , i found him by chance ,he teaches one day a month in another dojo and i was there that day watching their practice, we practice 4 days ,all adults , right fee, small group and sensei is allways there since it's next to his house. last week it was only two of us, and we sparred half an hour, after that while sensei was helping me cleaning the blood off my face ,i was thinking that is the first time i got my ... kicked and feel great.we practice one day weapon and rest of the days we switch between shorin-ryu and Matsumura family white crane.

I hate to say it, but unless one has visited a few clubs, it is hard for one to make objective evaluation of their own club. There is this tendency for people to develop this mentality that their club/instructor is "best". In my case, I have visited a few clubs. Although the club I am currently training at is not perfect, it suits my current needs quite well.

I rated my dojo as great...

it has the following pros:

wide instruction (not only striking but also grappling, ground fighting, seminars with other MAs)

friendly instructors,

inexpensive and not based on profit (they allow me to take two classes each day without extra charge).

wishes for improvement: I would like more study of kata and to be closer from my house. :D

(once it was closer but then they moved).

Unfortunately my dojo is at a local fitness center. I lease it for 3 nights a week hour and half each night. Its tough at times not having my own place to teach at, but at least I have a place to teach.

My dojo's great. Sure, there's people I'd rather stay far, far away from, but there's people like that everywhere. Sensei is a good teacher, he knows what he's talking about and can show us all. He's not always terribly patient, but he usually is.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu