• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu or Shotokan?

dingyuan

I study Shotokan and personally enjoy it, however, it all depends on you. I've done tournaments with goju people and they are Very good. However, since i've never studied goju, i have no idea which is "better". So good luck w/ your decision.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you to try both and then find your personal answer, there are difference between the two styles and you may like more one or the other but what really make the difference is the quality of the teaching

• 1 month later...

To be honest, it doesn't matter that much in the beginning. I believe the most important thing is to ensure that you get an excellent teacher. Develop good fundamentals, and develop techniques that are suitable for yourself.

This is a loaded question because, as aefibird mentioned, the goju fans will most likely stand behind their art, and vice versa.

I'm only studying shotokan right now, so I don't have any knowledge of goju ryu, but I like what I've heard about it for the most part.

Your best bet is to check them both out, do some research. You may even choose to practice both forms, one after the other. Double your knowledge and the fun! :D

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Personally I see Shotokan as the bases of Karate. While the other styles are improvements to it. But thats my opinion. I'd say go with Goju Ryu.

I strongly disagree with this statement and I feel it is a large misconception. It could be more accurately stated that Shotokan is the basis for most Korean martial arts. It could also be accurately stated that Shotokan has had a very heavy influence on many Japanese karate systems. But Karate is Okinawan by origin, and any basis would also have to be Okinawan. While Funikoshi was technically an Okinawan, he did not have sufficient experience to create or propagate an entire system. Because of this he drew heavily from Japanese arts, as is evident by his use of the gi and belt systems. What Funikoshi practiced while on Okinawa is called Shorin-ryu. This could be called one of 3 basis of Karate. Shurite (Shorin-ryu), Nahate (Goju-ryu, Ueichiryu), and Tomareite are the general categories or basis of Okinawan Karate. So if you were to trace Shotokan and Goju back in terms of lineage, they would likely never meet. Even in China they would have come from different places.

Now which is better can't be objectively quantified. Even if one system was "better", the quality of the teacher, and his teacher, would affect the quality of what was being taught much more then what style was actually being taught. I will say that from a kata perspective, Goju-ryu has a tendency to be more in depth with its focus on kata then Shotokan. Still Shotokan is in depth and this is not ment to say that one is "easier". What Shotokan lacks in depth it often makes up for in quality of technique, disciplined focus on basics and powerful applications.

Of course since I am not objective and I do have a history with Goju-ryu, I'm going to suggest that you check out the Goju-ryu studio first. :)

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Hey, as a newbie, I'm not too sure about the fundamentals of Karate. I'm trying to make the same decision as the original poster although I'll be choosing between Goju-Kai and Shotokan. I'm just curious but does Shotokan involve kicks above the waist line? If so, how much striking is there in comparison to kicking? Percentage wise. Thanks.

it is safe we say karate is %70 hand and %30 kicks.

if you really like high kicks the best for you is korean versions of karate. kuk sul won (spl?) could be a good choice.have a look to the Korean arts section too.

May I say that they are both execellent fighting styles but to choose between them really depends on the quality of the instructer .I have trained for several years in shotokan under an excellent teacher but I was lucky and had he taught goju ryu then I would have done that !

Important thing is to get the basics right and then you can bulid on that foundation anything you want ,and I believe that after years of training ,all good martial arts reach the same point ,it is just that the way getting there maybe diferrent ,and don't believe a word about shotokan being rigid and slow ,this maybe the case in some or too many dojo's but there are people out there who teach the true form of shotokan which I interpret as speed ! & power ! and aim to finish with one technique !

never give up !

Hi y'all :wave:

I only just joined the boards as well, and i've been studying for just over 3months here in the UK.

The instructor approached me at the gas station and started chatting to me about whether I took any sort of martial arts (I was in uniform [am police officer] which started off the conversation), when I said no but am thinking about it, I joined up. Didnt have a choice in the style (shotokan, btw!) but i'm really enjoying it. Still finding my way so not thinking about changing styles yet :)