• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

does age matter

maku

When i was a teenager i trained in Wado ryu , Goju ryu, and gained grades to 5th kyu blue belt then for work reasons had to quit.

Started training and assisting teaching Shitoryu shukokai with my brother sensai Gary at 28yrs old.Work commitments took over again so had stop for a while.

Now married at 35 yrs three kids later started training okinawan gojuryu .More dedicated and commited than ever training at least twice a week and at home. Started about 18 mths ago now training hard and picked up where i left off so already 4th kyu and aiming to be black belt in my early forties.

So my moral is you can rest from karate for a while and come back later you don`t really forget what you have learnt just get a bit rusty.But with hard training you soon pick up where you left off and also i find i`m more dedicated than before so maybe its age and lifes experience.

When its in your blood it keeps on resurfacing.

4th kyu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am always surprised by the number of parents who started doing MA with their kids. It is absolutely great to see a kid and a parent doing something together like this, each in their gi. Alot of people are at the dojo 5 nights a week. Parents come watch their children on kids' nights. Children bring their homework and watch their parents on adults' nights. I didn't have a great home life, so it is wonderful to see these families spending time together.

My wife and I both do goju ryu. I hope someday we'll have a child who joins us.

To the poster's point, many of these parents are 45+ by the time they receive their black belts.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

My youngest student was a brand new 4, and my oldest was 76.....just do it. :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I'm the oldest in my karate class (43). But still I enjoy it and even if I'm not definitly the best fit I one of the most passionate.

Bene bene.....molto bene.....lol...... ;-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

I am always surprised by the number of parents who started doing MA with their kids. It is absolutely great to see a kid and a parent doing something together like this, each in their gi. Alot of people are at the dojo 5 nights a week. Parents come watch their children on kids' nights. Children bring their homework and watch their parents on adults' nights. I didn't have a great home life, so it is wonderful to see these families spending time together.

My wife and I both do goju ryu. I hope someday we'll have a child who joins us.

To the poster's point, many of these parents are 45+ by the time they receive their black belts.

I started training after my son talked me into it. Been training ever since.

There is nothing like the feeling of training and doing a kata with your kid, thats what it's all about. :D

I wish he would join back up again since he quit I don't have anyone to play with at home. :bawling:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.