• Shotokan
    • Goju ryu or Shorei-kan
    • Wado ryu
    • Shito ryu
    • Kyoukushin kai
    • Uechi ryu
    • Shorin ryu
    • Others

This should be a sticky. Getting 74 people to answer this poll is quite an achievement IMO.

Yes 80 votes are quite a lot! (up to now)

Anyhow many people voted others, so I could have added more alternatives. Maybe I should have added Kempo as a separate item but then there is this controversy if kempo/kenpo should be considered a karate style or a different MA. Probably many votes under Others were for kempo.

Sorry for my rambling. :karate:

Since when kempo is not considered Karate?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big expert in Kempo/kenpo but I'm sure that the issue of being kenpo a karate style is controversial. Not all kind of kempos resemble karate... some are more similar to kung fu. Anyway to be more general I should have included in the answer as a separate item.

Tan Tuey style Kungfu all the way, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats the point posting if you do Kung Fu?

I confirm, the topic is about Karate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm the second Eugue Ryu stylist here! Wow, are we unknown or what? Sensei says that a lot of what we do is based off what the Samurai's were taught, and in the advanced class, you can see that much easier than in the beginner's class. He has a bunch of old weapons too, we're almost never allowed to touch them, but he's let us use the naginata a few times. Eugue, if anyone wants to know more about it, post somewhere, and I will try to the very best of my hachikyu (yellow belt, we don't have stripes) ability to find out more. Just curious. Is it common to have stripes on your belts? I know Master Mark did in my old school, but Sensei Topp doesn't have them. I'm just trying to figure out what's modern MA and what's not. My new dojo is currently, in the cases of the higher belts, beating my old habits out of me. Not fun.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

Just curious. Is it common to have stripes on your belts? I know Master Mark did in my old school, but Sensei Topp doesn't have them. I'm just trying to figure out what's modern MA and what's not.

Having strips on your belts is not a part of traditional Japanese martial arts. It is not found in Judo, nor karate (FYI, in Judo they have the ceremonial red white and red belts for the very high level Judokas).

• 3 months later...

Karate are all weaponless MartialArts that have a direct line to okinawa or are a mix or a direct evolution of such arts. So American Ed Parker Kempo is not Karate, Shorinji Kempo is not Karate, Okinawan- Ryukyu Kempo is Karate.

karate simply means 'empty hand' or the way of the empty hand, and really is just a generic term to describe any of the weaponless fighting systems...TKD, Judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Tai Chi, etc...all could be considered karate by its very definition...

I know I will catch some flack from you dedicated types that harbor stereotypes, but so be it.

Karate is empty hand combat system to japanese what Kung-fu is to chinese. All the same. Different names, same premise.

So, to say that Kenpo/Kempo came from Okinawa and hence could not possibly be termed Karate, is grossly negligent and flat-out wrong.

'Chuan-Fa' or 'fist law' originated in China and eventually found its way to the Okinawan islands, Japan, and other outlying lands.

Sorry if this offends, but you have some facts to check.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous