• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying something new!

Hi there everyone!

I am really interested in changing it up again. I have done alot of different kinds of martail arts. I have been trainning in Shotokan Karate for about 13 years. I moved to college in a different city and want to try something new now that I am in a new city. I am now in Calgary, Alberta Canada. I would really appreciate some recommendations on where to try. I am looking for something in hard style and not karate. If you could help me out that would be great!

My name is Lydia and I am a Sr. Black belt in Shotokan Karate. I have also done many other types of martial arts. I enjoy trying new things. I like just grabbing a book and learning from it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lyds, I think it would be awesome if you came to our Kyokushin Club. I started a year ago, after doing Kuk Sool Won for many years. I absolutely love this style and we have a really really great instructor. The dojo is great too, nice family feel to it, and we train very hard.

Here is some info, it's not totally up to date... as our class times have changed, but the phone number is still correct. You can come to our Monday class at 7:45pm or Saturday class at 10:30am to see if you like.

http://www.kyokushin.ca/dojos/calgary.html

Thanks Dijita,

That helps me alot actually. I will check out the site and let you know what i think.

My name is Lydia and I am a Sr. Black belt in Shotokan Karate. I have also done many other types of martial arts. I enjoy trying new things. I like just grabbing a book and learning from it.

Another option is make the transition to kickboxing.

I think you will benefit a lot from your previous Karate experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you are still looking for a reply, here you go.

https://www.mikemiles.ca - Top Muay Thai fighter that has trained champions, including recent Pride inductee Nick Ring.

https://www.nationalbjj.com - Brian Bird trained Nick in Judo and BJJ. Brian is the top ranked Albertan in BJJ (brown belt) under 2nd Degree Roy Harris of San Diego.

I'd recommend either to you, they are both GREAT gyms.

Rule #1: Play the game to the limit. Damn the consequences.

• 3 weeks later...

I really think he should try a grappling art since he already studied a striking art for 13 years. It would make you a better overall fighter if you knew some grappling moves. I'd recommend Judo and BJJ.