• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

American Martial Arts

Couple of years ago, the wushu (kung fu) championships were held in China.

There are 2 different kinds of contests in wushu: the tao (forms) and the fighting itself, quite similar to karate's kumite (except no punch to face allowed).

Well, the results were: Asian countries dominated the tao competitions (mainly China, Taiwan, etc...) while European countries won the fighting competition in almost every weight category...

Leaves me to wonder if that "Asian are better fighters..." is appropriate :???:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kenpo karate was developed in the states from what ive heard

there is also american style jiu jitsu and kickboxing was started cuz american karate fighters wanted to use their techniques in a full contact platform

i study the canadian style jiu jitsu and ive heard something about there being a british style of jiu jitsu and of course everyone knows about brazillian jiu jitsu

and somebody on this thread said thAT judo orginated in the states which couldnt be further from the truth, it was developed in japan when Kano a jiu jitsu practictioner took all the dangerous elements away from jiu jitsu and made judo

the way how judo came into the united states was cuz of american service men in the armed forces coming back from japan armed with all this knowledge of the martial arts

You can boo me if you want, You know I'm right!

-Chris Rock

who from the red indians,

my mistake, i thought judo came from the usa, because i heard been said in a documentary about bruce lee, but then i realised what it meant to say was that americans were "introduced" to judo, rather than creating it themselves

so judo came japan, cool!,

but one thing to clarify though, did kickboxing orignally originate from asia?

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

"American" kenpo karate was founded by Ed Parker in 1959. I personally have been a student of kenpo for the last 13 years, and I currently teach it in Southern California.

It is by far one of the most interesting, and mind altering of all the martial arts. It teaches you to think "practical", not traditional. Basically in a nutshell...the art is always changing. I recommend Ed Parkers series of books called "Inifinite Insights on Kenpo"

Hasta!!

Ryan

Check out "Koldsteel" Enterprises. We offer a wide variety of aluminum samurai swords for training or competition. All of these swords are light as a feather, but look awsome.

Http://hometown.aol.com/koldsteel504/myhomepage/profile.html

Straight out Martial Sport stand up Boxing came from the United States, no? Also, it's like this:

If you take someone who studies aikido in New York and pitted them against someone who studies aikido at its home in the Eastern world, you would see not one art, but totally different approaches to an Asian philosophy, which is why American Martial Arts are rarely the same as the Asian arts!

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• 7 months later...

A karate historian, writer, and teacher .... Dr. Jerry Beasley of Radford University in Virginia has organized American martial arts into three distinct phases during its early years.

The Traditional Era (Mid 1950's - Mid 1960's) American martial arts emphasizes conformity, with few practitioners or competitors breaking with tradition.

The Progressive Era (Mid 1960's - 1972) Competitors introduce concepts and develop new fighting methods; Americans become recognized as competent fighters and instructors.

The Contemporary Era (from 1972) Evolution can be traced to prominent fighters of the Progressive Era. The reality of combat is synthesized through the introduction of contact competition and the introduction of innovative safety equipment.

....the first documented American Martial Arts System:

"Shin-Toshi"

http://www.dentonmartialarts.com/nksa/New.htm

SaiFightsMS Wrote:

"This is getting interesting. Yet, no one has mentioned any fighting styles from native american groups. Does anyone know anything about this group?"

I like to know this, too (yes, the "red" indian :P Ad .... sorry I'm part Indian). I heard that they have their own martial art, but I haven't seen anything on it. It'll be neat to have a martial art from my family history :) That would be the coolest thing. If there is, I think my dad (who is half indian) would get a kick (no pun intended) outta that.

Laurie F