• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA culture shock

No big problems from kickboxing to karate.

Kicks are executed the almost the same way. The guard is slightly lower in karate but while sparring I keep my old kickboxing style guard, I feel more protected.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well I used to do Kuk Sool Won, and the stances in Kuk Sool Won are a lot more similar to a TKD stance where you stand kind of sideways towards your opponent. Now that I am doing Kyokushin, it took a couple of months to try and relearn the stance, because in Kyokushin, we keep our hips fairly forward and face our opponents. Even now I find myself having to correct my hips.

If you think going from one ma to another is tough try going from ma to snowboarding. I tried it the other day. In a fighting stance I always keep my front foot really light. If you do that on a snow board(and I just couldn't break the habit) you end up rocketing down the hill at a million miles an hour and you can't turn. I got more bruises in a day than I have in a year in the dojang.

:lol: Haha... keep practicing, you'll get it. Lean back when you hit powder though!! :)