• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Older martial artists

68 and he started about a year ago. at this time he has many limitations but i think that will change.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my karate class it's myself (43). I started karate in april afer more then 1 year in kickboxing.

Sometimes (like yesterday) I feel I cannot follow very intense workouts but this does not happen very frequently.

On my TCC class the oldest will be around 55-60 and he's doing ok.

The oldest in my school is Bruce, who is 64... he may have just turned 65. He only comes about once a week, but he is a lot of fun to have around, and will give most of the youngsters a run for their money. He never had any Ma training outside of the military when he was younger, but he stayed in pretty good shape and doesn't have to many problems keeping up with the rest of the class.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

I think the oldest in TKD is 60-ish 2nd dan female. Maybe 55. Don't really know, but she can whoop some .... you know what. She helps me out a lot on techniques and things. She's very talented.

We also have Tai Chi at my dojang. I couldn't tell ya the oldest in that class (I don't take it). But I think the age range is 30 to 60-ish, I think.

Laurie F

Rod is the old fart in my dojo. He's 52 (just 4 months older than me) and strong as an ox! Now that I think about it...kinda smells like one once in a while too. :lol:

Anyway, don't let Rod fool you. He can crank out 100 PERFECT knuckle pushups without breaking a sweat, runs 3-5 miles every day (including in the winter), is an avid kayaker and hiker. Martial arts-wise...well, let's just say Rod is in the 15 year black belt program. He's a hard worker, rarely misses a class, but just has problems "getting it" a lot of the time. As he says..."I'm in no hurry".

Rod's techniques might not be picture perfect by any means much of the timea, but I'll tell you, when he hits you...there is no mistake that you got nailed, and nailed HARD!

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I have to agree there. It's hard to tell sometimes.

This is where the question, per other thread "Does one have to be fit to teach or practice MA? Does this really matter in the same relation given the ages of people posted in this thread about age?