• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Traditional or Sportive karate

Sridhar

I do both, but only a little sport karate. My club trains mostly in 'street effective' style training, although competition entry is not discouraged. Our students tend to just enter the kata categories in competition, rather than the points-sparring.

As far as kumite goes, we train in all ways of kumite. Yes, we incorporate point sparring, but not in a major way. Full contact for adults is regularly practiced, but we tend to concentrate more on self-defence/'street' applications and "what works".

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i do traditional karate, I dont really get into the torunament aspect and neither does my sensei. We do lots of Kihon (basics),Kata, bunkai, and kumite.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

we do quite a bit of drill work. (kihon)

our sensei really likes to break down aspects of kata.

i think sensei tries to keep training as close a possible to traditional karate.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Kumite is traditional :)

Sport karate is based upon pads, head gear, pulling punches and point system tournaments.

You'll have to ask the shotokan guys about it - I don't do it :)

Osu!

ET

not wearing of those things

without wearing any of those pads and practising

In our dojo, the lower belts dedicate one class a week to conditioning and point sparring, one class a week to conditioning and kata, and one afternoon class where all the belts come together for conditioning and self defense techniques. It's a nice mix and it gives you a lot to work on at home.

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

Spent 6 years doing sport karate because I didnt know any better :)

Then twigged I didnt like competition.

Going to be doing street effective stuff based on Wado Ryu soon enough. Dont know if most would call it traditional. Depends on your interpretation.