Sridhar

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many ways you can approach karate. Personally i train for self defence and health, while others may just do it to keep fit or look good.

At our school we have both competitors and non-competitiors so the training caters for both.

We have two different classes one for traditional and another sport style.

I do traditional, we do mosly kihon, kata and bunkai on the traditional class but time to time we also point-spar. I think that when my technique will improve I will try also the competitor class sometimes.

I think this depends alot on the instructor. There are some that like to teach his/her students for the satisfaction to see them do well in torunements and so on.....and there are those who teach karate mostly in a traditional way or at least they try to do it. :karate:

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

At our dojo, nightly classes cover technique, forms, and self defense. If you would like to spar, there are optional classes that meet on Friday and Saturday, and I have yet to see Sensai attend one of these classes. It's run by the other brown and black belts. Your belt progression is based on your knowledge, technique, and kata, never your sparring ability.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I'm not really sure what to say, other than "I take traditional karate." This means I don't train in anything that won't help me in a fight. My style is very heavy in striking and close in-fighting, to include grappling. I'm obviously biased, but I think it is the real deal (not casting aspersions about other styles, but I'm just saying this stuff will help you in a street fight).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/