• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you consider Pro Wrestling a martial art?

I remember seeing an interview with Mr. McMahon. He was talking about Ted Turner calling him and telling him he was getting into the wrestling business. McMahons response was, "Thats great, I'm in the entertainment business."

Based on that, I'd say that he thinks its not a martial art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys may have mistaken my question, what I was asking wasn't if WWE is real but rather do you consider those pro wrestling skills like body slam, powerbomb, German suplex......etc.... as a martial art skill.

Powerbomb=Wrestling move

Wrestling move=Wrestling

Wrestling=Western Wrestling

Western Wrestling=Western Arts

Its not a martial art,but a form of fighting in my opinion.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

No, it is not martial art, it is not even a martial sport (because it is obvious that it is staged) It is a martial entertainment, you can see it as a short action movie with no plot just fighing scenes.

Leave out the word "martial" when you refer to it. I don't even consider it "martial" in the sense of the word. Martial means relating to war, or a characteristic of or benefitting a warrior. This is a term that related ina way to the samurai and their code of ethics when it came to warfare and their system of beliefs and honor. It is not a word to be used lightly. It is certainly not a word that can be used to describe moves in pro wrestling. These guys are entertainers, pure and simple. Guys like Shamrock may be warriors in their own right, but the pro wrestling events themselves and the whole training and techniques regime is stunt-oriented and in no way translates into anything martial or an art form. If you were to call this a martial art, then where do you draw the line? Would stuntmen in the movies be considered martial artists? Would you call actors and actresses martial artists if they threw some kicks and punches in the movies? I agree that it may be a form of fighting if it is applied in a street environment. And with the size of some of those guys I sure would be wary about tussling with them.

Mixed Martial Artist

let me think...smashing a chair on someone's head...yeah that is a preety good self defense move.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

Actually I do mean pro wrestling as those in WWE. The strikes of the pro wrestling are completely fake and useless but some of it's grappling moves are really useful and effective.

Effective moves of pro wrestling (I think)

- Closeline

- German suplex

- Normal Bodyslam

- Powerbomb (if you are strong enough that is)

- Russian leg swing

- T-bone suplex

Completely useless moves

- Chokeslam

- FU (c'mon as if he's going to let you hold him up there)

- F-5

- Vertical suplex

"Not sure" moves

- Rock bottom / book end

- Stunner

- Tombstone

What do you guys think??

Yes, most of the moves are standard wrestling, JJ, and Judo. The definition of martial arts is the study or application of any method of fighting, or system of fighting under one category. So, pro-wrestling, per some of its methods, can be a martial art. However, just the same as other sport competition, it is used for a entertainment venue. IMHO

Look at the Kung Fu or Karate equivalent. Is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon martial arts?I think It is the entertainment rehearsed version of martial arts performed by some pretty good martial artisits. Maybe wrestling is the same. There seems to be a lot of skill in not only executing the moves but also being dropped on your heads from six feet in the air. And for big guys they move pretty quickly. I don't think you get those skills from a bottle of steroids.I've never had a go at that activity so I would be reluctant to write it off as an inferior skill.

The older, female character in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is actually an ex ballet dancer, before she became an actor :P . Modern Wushu is just that, martial ballet. It's an art in the esthetic sense of the definition, but not when you consider art meaning "skill" (Martial Art = War skill)