• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WEIGHTLIFTING FOR MARTIAL ARTS

mixed_fighter

Jules has some good points. I would also like to add, remember to lift explosively. And that you can lift with about 50% 1RM at 10x2, but this is for advanced lifters (if this feels 'easy' then it's not for you yet). Finally some people believe bands in addition to weights on an exercise can help develope power.

Lift explosively?

Bands?

Please explain

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the weight lifted try to lift as quickly as possible.

Bands in the sense of jump stretch bands which can add an extra hundred pounds (there are many variations, some less, some more) at the top of a lift, but add very little at the bottom. You can easily add these to your bench press, squat, and deadlift for example. Mind you, this also an advanced method, but worth looking into for anybody that is interested.

Regardless of the weight lifted try to lift as quickly as possible.

Not totally true. Sometimes this can create injury. Slow movement, depending exercise, is better and more beneficial.

Bands in the sense of jump stretch bands which can add an extra hundred pounds (there are many variations, some less, some more) at the top of a lift, but add very little at the bottom. You can easily add these to your bench press, squat, and deadlift for example. Mind you, this also an advanced method, but worth looking into for anybody that is interested.

I had nevered seen these or seen their use in the many weight rooms that I have been.

Sure, if you lift an extremely light weight you can injure yourself but I'm assuming we're all lifting at least a moderate amount of weight. Slow lifting is not beneficial for power developement, explosive lifting is (which is the topic of discussion).

You haven't seen bands? Then you don't train with serious lifters.

Thanks guys......just tryin' to help. :-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Some exercises are meant to be 'explosive' and some really aren't.

Please don't do Good Mornings quickly, and I would reccomend bench pressing at a moderate speed, no matter what weight you've got on there.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

dont do deadlifts either... and while the benchpress is great, id recommend dumbells instead.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

The benchpress isnt the most effective way to work the pectoral muscles. Because the benchpress is done with a straight bar, it doesnt afford the ability to "adduct", which is the most effective way of working chest. To adduct, you must start with the hands wide, like the starting position of a normal bench press, but the hands must come together from the start to the finish of the movement. If using a machine, use one that allows this motion, normally called a "dual-axis" bench press, or use dumbells. The pec fly machine is great, because it is an adduction type of movement.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Sure, if you lift an extremely light weight you can injure yourself but I'm assuming we're all lifting at least a moderate amount of weight. Slow lifting is not beneficial for power developement, explosive lifting is (which is the topic of discussion).

On the contrary, slow lifting will develop power, esp including negs.

You haven't seen bands? Then you don't train with serious lifters.

Bands? Serious lifters. I had trained with many champion body builders, other trainers, including a ex pro football coach, and fitness gurus. There wasn't any bands available. Of course we are talking 15-20 years ago, if not more

The benchpress isnt the most effective way to work the pectoral muscles. Because the benchpress is done with a straight bar, it doesnt afford the ability to "adduct", which is the most effective way of working chest. To adduct, you must start with the hands wide, like the starting position of a normal bench press, but the hands must come together from the start to the finish of the movement. If using a machine, use one that allows this motion, normally called a "dual-axis" bench press, or use dumbells. The pec fly machine is great, because it is an adduction type of movement.

I agree. I guess I am from the "old-school" of weightlifting.