• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sanchin Kata In Competition

Curt_NSMA

This is a question to all the martial artist who judge or who have judged kata. I am competing with the Goju Kata, Sanchin. I was wondering do you give a higher score when the students instructor, (Or an instructor of a brother school) enters the ring and performs a Sanchin Test (also called a Shime I believe?) Or do you score it the same if they just do the form. All the judges will *NOT* be Goju people, there will be Dahn Moo Do and other korean stylists there as well. The reason I wanted to know is because Ive seen Sanchin done maybe twice in competition in the past 3 years, and I've competed on the local, regional and national levels, and have never seen it done with someone bowing into the ring and perform a testing.

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price."--Sun Tzu

The dance of battle is always played to the same impatient rhythm. What begins in a surge of violent motion is always reduced to the perfectly still. - Sun Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have judged at a few different tournaments, and I have never seen a Sanchin test done. I honestly don't know what my reaction would be. I am not that familiar with the whole process, but I think I might get the impression that either the instructor or the student was show-boating. Not being familiar with this practice, that is how it might appear to me... someone who is more familiar with it, might have a better understanding of the history and meaning behind it. Just MHO. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

Thank you for your replies. Sanchin used to be done around here, but it was back when there was hardly any of the korean styles around. So you almost always ended up with all Karate-ka as judges. So I just wanted to know what some of the reactions would be from the other styles who aren't familiar with the Kata.

The dance of battle is always played to the same impatient rhythm. What begins in a surge of violent motion is always reduced to the perfectly still. - Sun Tzu

Thank you for your replies. Sanchin used to be done around here, but it was back when there was hardly any of the korean styles around. So you almost always ended up with all Karate-ka as judges. So I just wanted to know what some of the reactions would be from the other styles who aren't familiar with the Kata.

Sanchin, when done properly, is a very hard form. One that many non-goju/shorei/shuri stylist will understand. It is also one of the very few katas that it is best to perform without a gi top on so that the judges can see the tension through out the body. I saw it done way back when but I have not seen it in any recent competitions.

As for your coach coming in, I would not do it for the fact they would still not understand its purpose. Good luck to you.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes an even bigger man to point at him and laugh

Thank you for your reply. The tournament is in a couple of days (saturday, 6th) I will post the results of how I did with Sanchin with testing.

Curt

Well I competed yesterday, but my instructor wasn't allowed to do a Testing. Only the centre ref could preform it. I had a Hapikado centre, he knew about Sanchin but still didn't test. He was impressed with it and was pleased to see it done once again in tournaments instead of all the flips and open kata stuff. I ended up getting 4th, I still think that the testing would have made it more "impressive".

Thanks for everyone's input, hopefully I will be able to do Sanchin with testing at a tournament.

Curt

You really need a group of judges that understand the kata for Sanchin. I've seen it successfully done at Isshin-Ryu heavy open tournaments, even with Tonfa, but at an open martial arts tournament it could be difficult to pull off. The only times I have seen it done were when the judges were all karate practitioners. One of the times the guy won first.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

yes a agree with some of the other posts if the judges know what they are looking at and sanchin is preformed well then you certinally SHOULD be given a reasonable score. But in tournaments today it seems that you have to be a gymnist to place, you should look for a really traditional tournament to compete in if you wish to do sanchin. Good luck.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8