• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok everyone, Your system, your foundation, and if your open.

Man that's awesome guys. The years some of you have in I hope to some day have that many years and being able to experience many forms with many instructors.

LOL at a few of the post keep this going. So how many of you compete?

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how many of you compete?

In the nearly 30 years I've been doing this, I competed once. Won 2 trophies (3rd in sparring, 2nd in forms) and two plaques (outstanding judge and outstanding competitor)..then I retired from competiton. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I enjoy competing in some of the local tournaments in my area. I would never fool myself to think that I could compete at any kind of national level. Even after 18 years, I still know my limits... maybe I know them better now than I did as a teenager.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

4th Dan, World Tang Soo Do Association

I have been training for 20 years in traditional Tang Soo Do, in a curriculum that also includes quite a bit of Hapkido.

I have trained in the weapons of our system, including the staff, knife, sword, and cane.

In addition, I have some experience in knife fighting, as derived from Master at Arms James Keating's Riddle of Steel, and although my training comes second-hand, it comes from someone who he as allowed to teach there on several occasions.

I also have some experience with flexible weapons and improvised weapons.

I currently teach about 30 students out of a small YMCA, but hope to increase that over time.

I am definitely open to new ideas, other styles, and new techniques. One of the strengths of our system is that our Grandmaster encourages mastersto learn as much as they can wherever they can, and bring it back to share with others.

Jbone1 wrote:

I'm a 4th dan with a major in Tae Kwon Do and a minor in Hapkido. I've been competing in WTF (Olympic) style tournaments since 1997. This has mostly been part of the USTU circuit, but have also done AAU and ITF. I've won many local tournaments in both forms and sparring. I've won State Championships in sparring 5 times and forms 5 times. I've placed second at USTU Nationals in forms and sparring and then won first in sparring in 2003.

I started competing so I could gain expierence in order to be a better instructor. I couldn't imagine me trying to teach someone something I had no expierence at. I also felt it added credibility to position. Would you send your child to learn to compete in any sport if the coach/instructor never played the game himself? Would any of you take my advice if I didn't have any expierence to back up what I was saying?

Since my kids also compete it has been some of the best years of my life sharing the expierence with them. Thay too are multiple times State and National Champions. They help me learn. They helped me get addicted to the competition and the expierence of the events.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I would like to be able to get out there and compete nationally soon. I'm still working and I need many elements to add on my journey as a Martial Artist.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

Hi, I started MA in march last year, I practiced little more the one year kickboxing then (in late April 2004) I switched to Goju ryu Karate (Yellow belt now). Since January I started Yang style Tai chi chuan, ranked 5th chi (6th chi=entry level). I have also one Month experience (Sept. 2003) in JKD/Kali escrima Inosanto method (I liked the system but the school had to close due to lack of students :bawling: ).

My karate school does often exchange seminars with other MAs mostly JJJ, kickboxing etc.

No, I don't compete (I'm too old for that... :cry:)

3rd brown in judo

thai boxing 3 years

bjj - testing for blue soon

shuai chiao - no rank. I play with my shuai chiao friends when able - was the reason I started judo.

I'm quite open to other styles - I previously trained in kali, which I did for 2 years, karate, which I trained for three under a friend of mine from japan and longfist, which I trained for 4. A friend of mine trains capoeira and we spar/compare info quite often.

I do. In my early days, I did the point sparring and kata thing. Now, I only do full contact fighting and judo conmpetitions. I'm gonna start competing in bjj as well, and at least one sambo competition. Hopefully I'll have a pro mma fight sometime next year, we've been talking about it.

That's cool seven, you mind telling your age? Also describe each of the upcoming things your gonna compete in, like the mma competitions and stuff.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"