• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goju Kata.....they may be taught differently, and in a diffenrent order depending on the "kan", and the individual dojo....

Sanchin......keep in mind this form takes at least 3 years of diligent practice to really start to "understand and perform" reasonably well.....thats why its taught first.....it also contains all of the body mechanics applicable to Goju techniques.

Next.....Basic form 1.....the beginning of the "gekisai" family....roughly the same as Gekisai 1, minus the stomp kick, elbow and backfist.

Gekisai Dai Ichi

Gekisai Dai Ni.....same as Ichi, but done with open hands, and finishing with a mawashi geri (circular block)

Gekisai San.....slightly different.....starts out with a double middle block (like Sanseru.....fast punch out....slow retraction back to middle block), and begins to incorporate more advanced tecniques like the cranes head hand positioning, and open handed down blocks.

The last in the Gekisai family is Geki Ha

This also starts out like sanchin, double middle blocks, but the punches are fast out, fast in, like Seisan. This kata also begins to incorporate body shifting movements, and elements os the next kata, Saifa.

The Gekisai family means "To Wage War"

Next is Saifa, the first of the Old "koryo" katas.

It means "smashing and grabbing", and its more advanced sister kata is Karurunfa....Note the "FA" at the end.

After saifa comes Seyunchin, which means "controlling your opponent while he believes he controls you".....the sister kata to Seyunchin is Shisochin...."CHIN" being the chinese word for "battle" or conflict.....as in "Sanchin....3 battles...or 3 conflicts....breath body and posture.....mind body and spirit.

After Seyunchin.....you begin with the numbered katas.....such as Seisan, or 13 hands.....Seisan is also known as the "fire kata"......some dojos teach Tensho at brown belt level, before Seisan....some after......Seisan being a black belt form.......next in line is the next numbered kata, Seipai, or 18 hands.

Now heres where dojos make a difference......some dojos have modified the next kata, Sanseru.....close to the opening of the form, there is a double jump kick, a very advanced technique, which used to place the kata second from the top, just under Pechurin (Superempei)....some dojos have replaced that double jump kick with two consecutive front kicks...(Jundokan lineage...as seen on Morio Higoannas tapes)....much easier to do, and lowering the kata to brown, or even 1st degree black level......

Next form is Shisochin, meaning "four directional battle", followed by Kururunfa, also meaning "smashing and grabbing your opponent into little pieces".....

The final form is a numbered form.....Pechurin, or Superempei, meaning 108 hands......

You may have noticed a lot of the number 3, or derivatives thereof.......Goju is primarily a Buddhist art, and the number 3 plays a big part in their beliefs......Pechurin supposedly wards off evil spirits, which is why when it is performed, the usual straightforward bow is replaced with a bow to all four surrounding walls in the dojo.....

On a side note.....It was comented that Shotokan and Goju Ryu are very much alike.....not so.....not even close.....Goju by definition means hard/soft.....not all hard or all soft, but hard and soft at the same time.......Shotokan is a very hard system, prefering to, for example, bang away incoming techniques with hard blocks, rather that blend with the incoming techniques, trap it, and subsequently be able to stick to it and control it

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

In my dojo the first katas (white belt level) are the taikiokus (three katas) then, from yellow belt,we start the sequence that MJ described in the previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

How'd I miss this one!!

I'm a Goju guy from the UK, 2nd dan. All you Goju guys should check out my home page, it'd be great to see some of you on there....

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Terry !!!!........Hey man.....how ya been ?.....havent seen you in a while......hope ya had a jolly good new year buddy......Im guessin' that you must of raised (and lowered)..... :P .....more than a few pints... :brow: .....lol.....Great to see you back !

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Hi Master Jules! Still haven't had that online chat have we, soon my friend, soon.....

Miss you on my site :( You post your knowledge here so this is where I must come :)

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Happy new year everyone!

Goju student checkin in here as well!

Practical studying under Sensei Leon Swain in College Park, MD and online studying through Sensei Master Jules :D Soon to be practical! woohoo :karate:

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo