• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

similarities between styles

My definition of Martial Arts: A five thousand year old argument on whose teaching method of middle punch and block is better...

:P

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hmmm....well MA(other than basic boxing/bashing each other over the head) started in India I belive. It was probally imported to china and then to Japan, with each country adding its own twists.

1-up!

My definition of Martial Arts: A five thousand year old argument on whose teaching method of middle punch and block is better...

:P

:lol: this is nice :lol:

There are many similarities between Urban Goju and Okinawan Goju, but just as many differences....Okinawan Goju truly resembles many Kung fu systems, because of its white crane influence....The "in close" fighting of Goju is also very similar to Jujitsu, with all the locks and throws.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

okok, how about a little divergence?

this might spark a few *ahem* debates but what big differences have you seen,

between your style and others?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

okok, how about a little divergence?

this might spark a few *ahem* debates but what big differences have you seen,

between your style and others?

Oh that's easy.

Mine is the best!!!! :karate:

No, seriously.........

Okay, maybe not.

Let's see.... differences. In my style of TKD, I notice that a lot of other MAs are more graceful. Sparring seems to be sparring, but when I watch the forms competitions at the tournaments, I see a lot more grace, and flow. The Chung Do Kwan forms, half of which are the WTF forms, can seem very ridged, and choppy in comparison.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

um, not quite what i was hoping for but along the right direction.

i guess i'm asking about more fundemental things.

like how wing chun (at a basic level) has an almost rigid structure whereas the more traditional long fist styles (at a basic level) has a more flowing, 'torqueing' structure.

(ignoring the times when both diverge slightly....)

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Differences (besides those I already mentioned): AK is very mobile, in all directions, while WC tends to keep forward pressure. AK works at all ranges, where WC is noted for its' in close work. We have more 'hard' moves. Both have excellant flow, but AK is probably a little more static- not sure. AK ballances all three major power principles, and our stance changes do a lot of the work for us, where I think WC relies more on torque and body rotation, though still has good use of marriage of gravity and backup mass. Your guard uses an immoveable elbow, and tends more to deflect strikes away from the gates, where ours clears a path to protect our zones. WC is a little more into the Chinese method of weighting one foot, where AK is more 50/50 in its' stances and footwork. Note that, as I said earlier, these are more points of emphasis than actual differences.

AK has a lot of similarity to the 'hard' systems/styles. Very similar to TKD in some respects, in that we have all their hard moves. The difference here is that as we advance, we do these with more flow, where TKD tends to stay hard and staccatto. But I've worked with TKDers who have some AK background, and they can definately flow, avoid wasted motion, and still hit with power (actually, they hit harder than the more traditional TKD systems, since some of what traditional TKD and the karate do systems teach actually robs power, where adding flow puts it back).

I often drive the Taiji people crazy when I talk about some of the 'external' similarities to TCC and AK. I won't get started on that here, but Mr. Parker did study TCC, and there is a lot of Taiji influence in AK as a result.

Freedom isn't free!