• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do females make good MA?

Do females make good Martial Artists?

YES THEY DO!

We do a lot of sparring at our school, and the other night I was having my students spar, the end match was two females. By the way We are a fairly new school so all of my students have 7 months or less training with me. So my male students are all getting awsome at their techniques and a lot of power, trust me I'm holding the pads hahahaha. Anyways my female students are just amazing me like crazy, they are progressing very fast and developing awsome power. Okay so we had about 10 different rounds of males sparring, the matches were pretty good they are starting to get really good, but the last match was between two of my female students, when the match started the guys were just trying to catch their breath from sparring and working the bag, but half way into the first round of the girls 3 round match up, everyone was watching. They were working combos like crazy, using everything that they have been working on automatically.

Okay so here is what I would like to hear. Has anyone ever noticed that when some males spar their first couple of times all they want to do is forget about their training and hit their sparring partner technique out the window, of course not all but I've noticed it takes a few matches before most males are using their combos etc. But I'm seeing when I stick females in for their first few matches, they are more apted to use their training such as proper technique, combos, footwork etc.

Is this because males have more of a fear of loosing so they loose control easier?

Or is it because most females dont come into a school already feeling like they know what they are doing?

Why is this? haha

Anyways I'm very impressed with all of my students and how they are doing. When I was growing up training myself our school was mostly males and I think that it was due to the fact that our classes were pretty brutal, so I try to run the same realistic environment but with a bit more control hahaha and I'm having a great turnout of females.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so here is what I would like to hear. Has anyone ever noticed that when some males spar their first couple of times all they want to do is forget about their training and hit their sparring partner technique out the window, of course not all but I've noticed it takes a few matches before most males are using their combos etc. But I'm seeing when I stick females in for their first few matches, they are more apted to use their training such as proper technique, combos, footwork etc.

men are dogs....BARK BARK!!

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

Hypothesis : Males have fought for different reasons throughout evolution: perhaps we have some sort of a primal fighting style encoded in our genes that we must override when learning a MA?

--------------------------

At my kwoon I think the few girls we have don't practice for the fighting aspect, so I have no idea how good they'd be in a spar. yet again, I haven't sparred that much myself...which is why I'm signing on for the combat classes! (full contact :blush: :drool:)

HAHAHA! When I saw the thread name I thought "OMG, YES! Creep" but saw it was you... okay... hmmm...

My guess is that men feel they should know how to fight from day one. Women have NEVER (mostly) felt pressure to fight, learn how to fight, consider fighting... okay you probably get my point.

Women may be more likely to think about the skills they're being taught, because without them, they have nothing. Men may be more likely to feel like fighting is just something they're supposed to know how to do and go with their instincts a little more.

7 months of training is not long at all. In my school, we only start combination sparring at about 6-9 months (exchanging, say, a 3-hit combination back & forth) with more 'normal' sparring starting after the 9 month mark (very light).

Anyway, just MHO.

Interesting question tho.

Yeah I know 7 months is not much training at all, but it is a good time to observe the beginners learning process and this whole topic came from me being so impressed with these two females.

I think kbgirl and MenteReligieuse are tracking on this topic.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

Women make outstanding martial artists...just ask my wife :)

Anyway, she is not a ver large person, and I love watching are spar some of the bigger guys we have around, and seeing how badly she 'schools' them on how it's done...

I think maybe it is because it is natural for men to instinctively use power. So when they go to spar they probably think they can just out power their opponent by hitting really hard.

If you look at beginner climbers, women are generally better in the beginning because women tend to push with their legs upwards, where men will try to muscle their way up the wall by pulling themselves up with their arms.

I also think that in general, women tend to underestimate what they are capable of physically. I'm sure the media and social upbringing as a lot to do with this. So if a person feels that they are not very good, than they will trust the advice of someone who does quiet a lot and are more likely to try and implement what they are taught.

Yeah, the sterotype would be that women are very good becuase they arent strong and only men shoudl be MA.

I totally disagree, and I am sure lots of female MA are alot better than most male MA becuase they have to work that much harder to get past the sterotype....

Nicolas :karate:

Men usually think that they need to prove their strength, and try to over power the other person. However, most females learn how to fight using their heads, thus making them better fighters. They have nothing to prove, and are willing to try the combos. Many guys have stopped fighting at our dojo because they were hurt, while trying to intimidate the other fighter.

Make'm cry or get disqualified.

The more you sweat in the dojo, the less you bleed on the streets.