• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

seriously if it looks too good to be true.....it marketing

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

Listen, I don't debate style vs style here. Reason? It doesn't matter. My philosophy has always been: train in what makes you happy, and train hard. Furthermore, every fighter is different regardless if he is taking the same style as you. I've had to spar many lousy black belts in my TSD experience, and I whooped many of them..... When I was a red belt! What matters is your aggresiveness. I always emphasize a well-rounded martial artist. Someone who learns how to be aggressive while having a good defense and ground game. That's why I took a large amount of TSD (established a good defensive and stand-up game). I realized TSD didn't stress a lot of offense, so I took KF San Soo. I learned striking areas, how to be aggressive, and coupled with my defensive game, I was pretty balanced. Recently I saw I was very helpless when knocked to the ground, so I started BJJ to work on that facet. I consider myself a well-rounded fighter. I personally think someone who takes one style and shuts out any others is cheating himself, and will pay for it if they run their mouth too much. Some people, like the Gracies, can run their mouths, because they have the proof in the pudding, so to speak. The thing about BJJ, is it's a thinking man's M/A. Bring the fight to your level, and win it on YOUR terms. That's why it has been so succesful.

Mixed Martial Artist

Anyone who reads Black Belt Magazine will surely know what Tim Larkin's Target Focus Training is. Basically, it it is a reality system that deals with striking specific targets on the human body in order to destroy your opponent. I've been getting the newsletter, and some of it is totally advertising, but I really agree with some of the principles. So I'm asking, did anyone ever do TFt? What do you think?

I gave up reading Black Belt TRASH Mag years ago during the ninja craze. Just to much junk and * in there for me to stand month after month...so anyway, no I haven't seen the articles.

Same here. Actually realtives would buy subscriptions (many other mags too) for me for xmas, so I will have a whole year-to laugh. Finally, I had to tell one, particular, without hurting her feelings, that I though I found the mag interesting, it had a lot of propaganda. So I really did not want it anymore. BTW, this went on for about 15 years until I finally had enough and confessed to her.

However, any good system should be basically teaching the same thing. Using specific weapons on your body to attack specific points to the body. For example, the big toe of my foot (and that's a might BIG big toe too!) to attack the nerves of the inside of the thigh. Is that the sort of thing you're talking about? If so...it's not a new concept.

Yeah, a lot is now "common knowledge"

There is a Kung Fu San Saoo dojo here locally. Total emphasis is on pure aggression...ATTACK ATTACK!!!..and none at all on defense...per their 8th Dan instructor.

Personally, I don't like it much and feel anybody with a good defense and counter fighting abilities would wipe the floor with them given a "fair" fight. Fair being defined as squared off with them and seeing it coming...not being blind sided or surprised.

But that is it! Being blinded and surprise is a good self defense tactic. To "blind" or "suprose a attacker. Especialy one whom has NO knowledge that the defender has skill.

*edit after reading those 3 links*

Checking out those 3 sites you linked...this is a quote from the 3rd site:

"It is highly aggressive and offensive in nature. San Soo does not bother teaching “defensive” techniques. The San Soo fighter is trained to be in control under any circumstance."

But their "aggresive and offensive" attitude, could be considered as defense, if somone had attacked them intially?

Since I had observed his instructors class many times over the years, and watched numerous demonstrations of theirs, I was fairly familer with their philosophy and methods of attacking.

Yes, but was he familiar with yours-your actual methodsd, not the one that he had seen? You had the advantage from observation of his.

We talked nicely for a while about our different approaches to fighting, and neither could convice the other they were right...which is OK with me. I asked him if he wouldn't mind attacking me so that I could show him what I was trying to verbally describe to him. He was more than willing.

His mistake, he should not have iniated the first attack. Was he younger than you? What was the difference in years of experience?

He was not amused by my demonstration, and wanted to do it again. I said there was no point in it, as I had proven my point, and he would be more wary the next time, so the results would possibly have been different.

But what point would that be? Did he actually understand the tactics of his art? You knowing his methods and he not understanding yours, put him in that predicament. Thus, in his not understanding, your point still could not be understood. Yes, he would be more wary, wiser, and had observed some of the ways that you moved. Did you turn him down because he would have gotton the best the second time?

My opinion...for what it's worth.

Yeah, but is it fair based upon One school and One event with One practitioner? [/i]

Heck, I am not taking "sides". But I believe the art/school is only as good as per each teacher. Teacher teaches, student believes. Don't "down" the art, but the teacher that teaches and fills bull in a student.

• 7 years later...

I know this post is really old, but I have taken Tim's TFT training and have to say that most people misunderstand what it is about. It is not a traditional MA at all and does not have "fighting" as it's emphasis. If you would like to know more, I can tell you. If not, no problem.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

TFT = repackages SCARS. SCARS was deemed too lengthy for service members to learn and Peterson's ego grew too large so they got booted from teaching straight military. Larkin was caught passing himself off as a SEAL before and got busted for it. His ads are the typical fanfare of learn how to kill in 5 seconds and all that jazz. Needless to say... save your money.

I remember Peterson's SCARS books in the old Johnson Smith junk magazines back in the day. They also sold the first two Paul Vunak books, which were probably a better investment.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons