• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference in Korea and The US

you were probably training with a pretty elite group. From my experience with people from S. Korea, a lot of them learned a little TKD in gym class or in the military (recieving your combat boots is like your chodan promotion ;) )

It would be just like if you were to look at olympic athletes here in the US. I can bet they don't do strip mall karate for an hour a week. :)

I also imagine those guys have some sort of stipend or sponsorship that allows them to train 8 hours a day (Which I doubt they do year-round.) gotta eat and pay bills and buy clothes.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that TKD is the national sport of Korea, but I have to ask this question...do they have as many choices as people in the states have? A big problem here is that TKD has to compete with baseball, basketball, gymnastics, Scouting, social groups etc. Some are seasonal, some are year round. They all market their sports or organizations heavely, wheather a school activity or private business. Is there that much competition for involvement in other activities in Korea?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

This is South Korea, right?

I can't imagine North Korea allowing any MA except for the military. Way too Communist.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I can't imagine North Korea allowing any MA except for the military. Way too Communist.

Yeah, but nobody was being specific, so I was just wondering. I don't really know about the martial arts scene in NK or SK.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• 3 months later...

I would love to train at a buddhist temple but im sure it would be hard for someone from the western part of the world to be accepted into something like that. Also I probably don't have enough nerve to leave everything here to go and dedicate myself to religion and MA for a few years. But I would still love to do it if I ever build up the nerve. Does any of this make sense? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others. - Confucius

I had the pleasure of training under a Korean 7th Degree Black Belt at the Kuk Sool Seminar last summer.

It was an intense 2 days!

After the first day,I was soooo sore....I didn't want to move! But being the glutton for punishment that I am,I went back...LOL

Kyo Sa Nim in KSW

Certified Personal Trainer

Health and Business Consultant