• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2 hours a day overtraining? want your opinion......

Croy

recieved alot of emails and messages giving me different excersises to help me develope speed, well, thank you everyone! i think i enjoy the workouts a little more than expected and would actually enjoy working out twice a day, one hour per session, so i'm just curious if anyone knows if this would be considered overtraining. i kinda figure you can't get enough practice, but on top of these workouts, i have 3 hours a day of my classes, Taekwon-Do, Aikido, and Hapkido. so plz feel free to post what yall think

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I first started competing I would do a lot of practice on my own. I developed a routine that took me about 2 hours a night to complete. I worked or 5 or 6 nights a week, beside going to my regular TKD classes. I developed a routine that you can view at:

http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/mafit.htm

I don't do near that routine anymore. That routine got me ready for competition. Now I just maintain my condition and have added more advanced routines to my workout. But the routine on my website is a good start. I've gotten emails from people all over the world that have used my routine and said how it helped.

Remember, it's important to listen to your body. There are symptoms of over training and you should be aware of them. Give yourself time to recover. Give yourself time to do other things you enjoy. Sleep!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

wow, kicks, your almost a Godsend bro, my next question was gonna be what plyometrics are recommended, but its already on your site, i appreciate the info. thank you! :D

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

Cool, and thanks. Good luck with your training!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

So, you're saying that in total,you want to work out 5 hours a day? If that's the case, I really think you need to consider what exactly you're doing and not do the same workout each day.

Not only that, but every 4-5 weeks you should have a light week... say, just your regular classes and no extra training.

Overtraining produces some very clear signs & symptoms... elevated resting HR, depression, irritability, decreased performance etc. If you start to notice these things, back off and take a light week immediately. If you don't feel them, you're probably doing just fine.

Enjoy your training!

kbgirl wrote:

So, you're saying that in total,you want to work out 5 hours a day?

I don't know if this question was directed to me, but I'll address it anyway.

My workout program took me about 2 hours to do. TKD classes are only an hour. We only spar twice a week, so most nights it's just a light workout with learning forms, one steps, Hapkido, or other skills.

I'd usually work out from 5 - 7 PM then go to TKD class or the gym at 8:00 PM for an hour. So that's a 3 hour workout. I always took one day off a week, but many times had to take two days off due to other obligations.

As far as muscle and power development, anything more than 30 minutes is a waste of time. Your goal is to stimulate muscle, and after 30 minutes of a hard workout, you are only damaging muscle.

As far as martial arts training, it depends upon the individual. Try not to burn yourself out and take breaks during your training.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

kbgirl wrote:

So, you're saying that in total,you want to work out 5 hours a day?

I don't know if this question was directed to me, but I'll address it anyway.

My workout program took me about 2 hours to do. TKD classes are only an hour. We only spar twice a week, so most nights it's just a light workout with learning forms, one steps, Hapkido, or other skills.

I'd usually work out from 5 - 7 PM then go to TKD class or the gym at 8:00 PM for an hour. So that's a 3 hour workout. I always took one day off a week, but many times had to take two days off due to other obligations.

Oh, I thought you meant you did your 2-hour workout program and THEN 3 hours per night of classes for a total of 5 hours... I did think that was a little crazy, but there are professional athletes out there who do train that much.

My own routine is similar but shorter. If I were to add weight training I could easily make it 3 hours/day including class.

As I said before, I think you should just listen to your body - if you're feeling good and are having fun, great. If you're not enjoying it, you may not want to keep it up. As was posted before, you won't reap huge gains from the 'working out' part of it, but definitely repetitive practice of many techniques helps to improve them.

believe it or not, im training for the olympics in 4 years (im a yellow belt). ive paid my teacher for private, intense lessons. he said i have the potential to compete. anyway, i train for a total of 8 hours a day. 3 with my teacher, 1 hr 5k run, and 4 hours weights. at first i had horrifying side effects(extreme fatigue)but now i do it 4 times a week and it's no sweat. im actually more at the green belt level now because of my masters lessons, so depending on the person, training can be for 20 min or as high as 12 hours a day(woulldnt rec. that). its funny though...

i have all of this skill now, but my stances haven't improved much, and my flexibility is not improving. maybe these are side effects of overtraining.

Keep it intense!!!!

You are probably training a bit too much, Rock. A person needs to give their minds and bodies time to recover from training. Think of it like this, you can study physics for 12 hours straight, but usually the fist couple hours are all you really retain.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.