• Upper Leg
    • Stomach
    • Ribs/Chest
    • Head

practicing high kicks helps improve balance making

low kicks more effective

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can do the splits both sideways and forwards, and have always had excellent balance.

I'm also six foot five, what I like to call 'wirey' (skinny as heck), and the majority of my height is in my legs.

Therefore, what is a chest kick for most of you happens to be a nice head shot for me. I cringe every time I read a post that talks about groin shots when somebody kicks high; perhaps that's the reason I'm a tenor (rim shot).

Seriously, though, that is a killer response to a high kick, one which my Kenpo counterparts love. However, after about three years of getting kicked in the crotch repeatedly, it has become instinct to drop my back hand to cover that, as well as pulling my shoulder down to cover the rest of my body (so ha). Granted, in a street fight, I wouldn't start kicking high...but I certainly wouldn't rule it out altogether.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Seriously, though, that is a killer response to a high kick, one which my Kenpo counterparts love. However, after about three years of getting kicked in the crotch repeatedly, it has become instinct to drop my back hand to cover that, as well as pulling my shoulder down to cover the rest of my body (so ha). Granted, in a street fight, I wouldn't start kicking high...but I certainly wouldn't rule it out altogether.

If you're doing Ed Parker Kenpo, I'm surprised that you are being able to block a groin strike that way. If they are doing it properly, they are kicking with the ball of the foot pointing upwards, not like an upward roundhouse kick with the top flat of the foot. Doing it with the ball of the foot can't be block the way you describe...and that's generally how we attack the groin as it's far more penetrating.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Why then, if it's generally agreed upon that head kicks are potentially suicidal in a street fight, are they taught at all?

In sport: Like I said in my previous post...I would, and do.

In street fight: Like I said in my previous post... only after I've gotten the advantage, and this is the knock out blow. Remember, you have to respect your opponent. As far as I know, the guy I'm about to fight could be a much more skilled fighter than me. He may be a streetwise thug, or he may be a martial artist with expierence defending head shots.

I feel you should gain the advantage before doing risky techniques.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

:o Listen, a)u should practice kicking to the head b) kicking that high also allows u to kick the opponents arm/arms when he blocks. This is often better than the head because if u can break his arm then he's in trouble. c)If theres an opening then take it, it just might be the head d: U might have to fight someone really tall practice kicking high. Listen, most of us agree that if we could afford the time and money we would probably practice a lot of different MA's so why not practice the techniques we have access to, to their full extent. :wink:

Donkey

I'm not very flexible and I cannot reach the head but I can reach chest with front kick and ribs with round kicks so that's what I pick.

:o Yeah but don't u want to get flexible, isn't that one of the goals and benefits of doing MA's. I bet youre a lot more flexible now that when u first started? :-?

Donkey