• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Athlete vs. the Martial Artist

Hanzou

Respectfully, the idiot who started this forum is not worthy to even talk on here.

First of all, unless you have visited every dojo, you have no idea how people train. I can tell you that if what I do is 'light' kumite, then 'hard' kumite would end up in death.

Second of all, how much does the average 'martial athlete' know? I know very little about this whole 'athlete' thing, but what you describe sounds more like a professional boxing style thing, rather than a martial art. They call it an art because it takes far more than just learning the techniques; it requires mental strength and a finesse that can only be acquired by years of training.

Also, it really depends on the person who is from each. Everyone has their own style of fighting, if they truly have a grasp of the art. Therefore, you cannot make a broad statement such as 'a martial athlete could defeat a martial artist.' If I said, 'A master of Kenpo could defeat a Master of Tae-kwan-do' (which is not how I feel, so don't start), I would have people jumping down my throats in an instant.

So keep your assumptions on who could defeat who to a minimum, okay?

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, unless you have visited every dojo, you have no idea how people train.

I agree with that, as I said in my portion of the post - on average.

Second of all, how much does the average 'martial athlete' know? I know very little about this whole 'athlete' thing, but what you describe sounds more like a professional boxing style thing, rather than a martial art. They call it an art because it takes far more than just learning the techniques; it requires mental strength and a finesse that can only be acquired by years of training.

If you think that boxing, thai boxing, etc. requires neither mental strength nor finesse, then you really, REALLY should step into a boxing ring.

No one knows how Shaolin monks train. Their "existence" is no longer.

I meant the ones you see on Television that perform those feats. Good coordination, strength and conditioning in general.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

No one knows how Shaolin monks train. Their "existence" is no longer.

I meant the ones you see on Television that perform those feats. Good coordination, strength and conditioning in general.

Yeah, I figured what you were saying. I just wanted to "throwe in" something for a reponse. :wink:

on whose authority do you have,

that no one knows how the shaolin monks used to train?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

i take it that's another question you're not going to answer?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

If you think that boxing, thai boxing, etc. requires neither mental strength nor finesse, then you really, REALLY should step into a boxing ring.

I never meant to say that. I know very little about boxing etc., so I'm not going to judge it. I was merely pointing out that you can't rule out the massive amount of learning that comes with martial arts.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker