• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Muay Thai vs. JKD, Kail, Muay Thai

i totally agree with your last post thaiboxerken.it can really give you bad habits if you spar without trying to apply the techniques properly.

Be everything. Be nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why don't you just...take both of the classes? :-? ...That way you could take the muay thai and JKD, in one class....then you could go to the other class and do all of the sparring and stuff that you want...

If you have to chose between the two then I would stick with the class that your already in...It sounds like it offers alot more 8) ...Muay Thai and JKD...and then in 18 months, when you are allowed to spar you won't be regretting sticking to it...Patience is the greatest power one can posses^^...or one of the greatest anyway...

Good luck :karate:

"One may conquer in battle a thousand times a thousand men, yet he is the best of conquerors who conquers himself"

Two things I did not understand.

In the new school they make you spar after 2-4 weeks because of your curriculum or it is a common habit?

The second thing is: it is full contact sparring what we are talking about?

Because if it is a common habit and it is full contact I would be very suspicious about the safety level of the school.

Two things I did not understand.

In the new school they make you spar after 2-4 weeks because of your curriculum or it is a common habit?

The second thing is: it is full contact sparring what we are talking about?

Because if it is a common habit and it is full contact I would be very suspicious about the safety level of the school.

I dont think I understand your question between curriculum or habit. Its light contact MT sparring. I personally wouldnt even entertain the thought of full contact MT sparring after 2 - 4 weeks.

• 9 months later...
Because effective drills instill habits. Most people don't know how to spar, they try to tag each other and "win" instead of taking what they are learning in martial arts and trying to apply it. So, because of this, I think sparring can be detrimental to most people.

I agree on most of what you said , however , muay thai is not football , football is a team game , MT is a fighting style . Sparring is needed from time to time , to condition your body to take hard hits , to learn what to do in a fight and to control ur temper , etc ..........

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 2 months later...

so far, i think that in terms of self-defense, no.2 will do better. this is because I believe that jeet kune do is an excellent way of self-defense. the reason for this is that it emphasizes speed instead of strength, and speed is necessary for fighting, especially in self-defense situations where in weapons are used. in these cases, i believe speed is more important than strength. muay thai, to me, emphasizes strength and speed, but jeet kune do emphasizes strength THROUGH speed. I also think jeet kune do emphasizes mobility and shifting in stances, which makes the person a lot more stable. in self-defense, it is always better to be on your feet, and jeet kune do can help you with this.

the thing about speed is that regarding humans, differences in it are not that great. For a perfect example, look at oscar de la hoya and mike tyson.

de la hoya is lightning quick. However, Tyson is much stronger and he is not so slow that he cannot touch you. Consequently, whom would you rather be hit by? Both can hit you, but one is WAY stronger.

Most thai boxing today uses boxing footwork, and is VERY mobile. JKD uses kali and boxing footwork.... not a big difference between jkd and muay thai there.

Definitely go with the MT with sparring. Why? Because while drills r important the often lead to unrealistic expectations without sparring. The techniques that look good in the mirror and feel good on the bag may simply not work against the person u r fighting or may have weaknesses that r only revealed with an opponent that hits back. Experience + Technique + Conditioning = Effective MA. :P

Donkey