• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do we strive so hard to do the splits?

SaiFightsMS

On 2002-02-05 13:20, KickChick wrote:

We were just informed at our school that students will be awarded special patches for their doboks if they can demonstrate a full split. :up: I guess that's a pretty good reason!

Oh my God! This is motivating me even more at my school now, too! They just started this at my school like two months ago, and i really want one :smile:. Like KickChick said...it is mainly fot the kids, and to my knowledge, only like 5 people have them on their uniforms, maybe more have them and don't display them, but I have to tell you, most of the kids who have them are like 6 or 7; the younger children are more flexible.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kickchick after I find my camera, if I post a picture of myself doing the splits are you going to send me a patch?

Do you want me sitting up and grinning or stretched full out face to the floor? :angel:

• 1 month later...

:lol: ok is it time to post those "split" pics??

The idea of the patches went well at our school. The kids are really working at it! I wish we adults would get one :grin: ... In fact, many of them could strive a little more to work their stretches ... some people just think it will never come .... that they'll never be able to have such flexibility. The other night at my class as we were doing the V-stretch, seated with legs all the way out to the sides.... I remarked to get those belly buttons flush to the floor ... and one of the women says under her breath.... "how about a belly roll does that count?" :lol:

I think why many people like to be very flexible is because some people and especially non-martial artists equate flexibility with fighting skill.

It looks good

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Flexibility to martial arts is just like strength training to martial arts. It is a great supplement, but it is not everything. Flexibility is not only needed just so you can perform fancy dynamic maneuvers. It is needed also because it makes your body less susceptible to injuries, increases blood flow, and you will feel more at ease when you make general overall movements. Just like how muscleheads equate huge biceps with fighting skill, some people equate the ability to do high kicks and great flexibility with fighting skill. Same thing.

One thing on fancy maneuvers though (i.e. high kicks, jumping spinning thingies, flips, etc.). I feel that there is great value in learning these ONCE one has mastered or had a solid foundation of the basics. Fancy movements are simply more dynamic versions of basic practical movements, except requiring perhaps more stamina, strength, flexibility, suppleness, and training. Obviously, there will be billions of people who will argue that it is useless practicing such a movement since it has no real practical use for combat.

However, a high round kick is simply a more dynamic medium or low round kick, requiring a slight change in bodily mechanics, but just a movement that requires more energy and flexibility to perform (your body naturally expends more energy when it nears its limits of flexibility or range of motion 'ROM'). Essentially, a flying spinning hook kick is simply a more dynamic version of a spinning hook kick, which in turn is a harder version of a hook kick. When in the air, you have the added challenge of leaping and spinning, which may require more plyometric and calisthenic training as well as coordination. Same with the jumping front kick. Although much less practical in combat, the basic low front snap kick to the groin is not. All these fancy movements are simply 'much more challenging' versions of their simpler, practical counterparts.

This is why I feel that practicing this stuff is beneficial because it can only increase your fitness, tolerance for strenuous physical demands, flexibility, strength, blah blah. Obviously, there is a problem nowadays b/c kids rush into the flying spinning roundhouse thingies when they don't even know how to throw a regular one yet, but I'm just saying that there is a different way to look at everything :karate:

Um, I realize I kinda got off topic here, hehehehe.

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

• 1 year later...

doing the splits is like the black belt of stretching for me(well that and being able to go back into a bridge like my ex girlfriend used to be able to do)

I work hard at it, it's a goal i've had since the beginning, i must do it and i will do it.